Head of Machine Learning Engineering
Wayfair.com is a leader in the e-commerce space for all things home. Wayfair’s community of Engineers are obsessed with using data and technology to ensure our customers can build a home that they love. Our platforms support millions of people searching every day for the perfect item, and provide a unique purchase and delivery experience. Come help us innovate and grow to our next $10B in revenue!
We are seeking a Global Head of Engineering for Machine Learning Platforms & Ops team. At Wayfair, this team is building the next generation of platforms, operations and infrastructure that serve some of our most impactful business areas, including Marketing, Supply Chain, and Customer Intelligence. We work with Data Scientists and Engineers to bring to life ML-driven products, develop and deliver a range of platforms to improve the experiences of our customers and suppliers and help enable other teams within the company.
Our platforms grew out of an innovative group of Machine Learning Engineers based in our Boston office. We are now to scale our efforts and develop the next generation of capabilities. We are seeking an experienced Machine Learning Engineering Leader to lead and scale our team of ML Ops and ML Platform engineers, building Wayfair’s cutting edge ML ecosystem at Wayfair. The ecosystem includes but is not limited to the intricacies involved in developing, operationalizing and scaling ML infrastructure, end to end ML lifecycle and operations, and operationalizing Wayfair-developed ML intellectual property (models) catering to the diverse use cases across our global community of hundreds of data scientists.
We would love to chat with you if you not only enjoy leading ML software engineering teams, are bold to invest in early stage ideas and can follow through with execution to take them to fruition on a global scale, but are also able to upskill the engineers around them by leading by example. In this role, you will work with the Machine Learning product managers, cross-functional engineering teams, and data scientists to understand the Machine Learning landscape, build and execute on strategic product roadmaps, drive adoption of ML across Wayfair, and design architectures to scale ML globally. You will partner with other senior leaders to both develop and evangelize Machine Learning across Wayfair, with an expectation to measure outcomes along the way.
In this position, you as a leader will drive these changes through a mix of: (1) leading sprint teams of machine learning engineers directly driving and owning development and operationalization (2) up-leveling existing engineers and engineering team managers (3) working with Wayfair’s product teams to drive adoption of new technology in the machine learning space and more.
What You’ll Do
- Create & execute machine learning engineering strategy and architecture
- Drive ML adoption of public cloud technologies onto the platform
- Serve as a senior subject matter expert on machine learning technology at scale
- Drive data science velocity with a range of solutions that reduce friction across the machine learning lifecycle by reducing complexity and intuitive solutions
- Increase the rate of delivery of the ML capabilities through stronger engineering practices and best-in-class technology
- Drive adoption of ML across other organizational units within Wayfair
- Architect and develop Wayfair’s Machine Learning ecosystem and sustainable infrastructure and platforms to serve the needs of our Data Science community
- Leverage your deep knowledge of distributed systems engineering to build Wayfair’s next generation Machine Learning capabilities
- Hire & develop a world class and diverse team of machine learning engineers
- Think outside of the current technology/stack limitations to push the boundaries on what is possible and deliver feasible solutions collaboratively
- Champion open source solutions and Google Cloud native technologies, and their application to our use cases
- Develop end to end ML pipelines that can power the full range of Machine Learning initiatives at Wayfair
- Partner with product leaders to understand technical pain points for data scientists and other engineers and translate them into clear and robust engineering solutions
- Advise engineering and product management on technical roadmap, ensuring that the vision aligns with broader company objectives
- Career manage a group of high performing engineers and help grow the organization through mentorship and developing learning opportunities
- Promote a culture of engineering excellence and strengthen the technical expertise of our engineering and product teams
What You'll Need
- 7+ years of experience in software engineering and designing systems at scale
- 5+ years of experience in DevOps roles, linux-based development, and Python development while leading engineering teams
- Deep experience with public cloud (AWS, GCP, etc) ML offerings and driving their adoption
- Experience developing data pipelines, and orchestrating deployment of ML models, including experience with Kubernetes
- Design and architect the ML-focused platforms and infrastructure, self-service model development tooling, and end to end model pipelines and workflows
- Experience developing tools and platforms for Data Scientists with the goal to accelerate model development, training, deployment and monitoring
- Familiarity with ML model development frameworks, ML orchestration and pipelines with experience in either Airflow, Kubeflow or MLFlow
- Hands on experience with technologies such as Python, Kubernetees, Jenkins, Hadoop, Spark
- Strong understanding of containerization (Docker, etc.), and associated software engineering best practices
- Hands-on experience driving software development within high-growth environments at scale through DevOps, CICD, SRE experience
- Excellent communication skills with demonstrated experience driving teams forward and ability to influence technical decisions to line up with the company’s strategy
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and hypothesis- driven critical thinking skills to transform data into actionable insights
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.