Course Hero is scaling. We are looking for a motivated, hardworking Data Engineer who will help build our next-generation Data Platform. We want a hardworking software engineer with a DevOps mentality who loves to focus on scalability and big data.
You can expect high impact and wide-ranging responsibilities: As a Data Engineer, you will have deep hands-on experience working with Data Scientists, Machine Learning specialists, and Search Engineers. The scalable systems you build will enable our product designers to bring powerful data products to the Course Hero platform.
Our tech stack includes Aurora, Kafka, ElasticSearch, Presto, Airflow, DynamoDB, and various homegrown data tools written in Bash, Go, Python, and Elixir.
Here are some ways you’ll make an impact:
- Work with our teams of data scientists, machine learning engineers, and software engineers to work efficiently and reliably with terabytes of data
- Help scale our OLTP platform to support the continued growth of one of the top 200 websites (by US traffic)
- Develop tools that extend the use of our small, but highly effective data engineering team to support the company's growth. Our team builds various tools in Bash, Go, and Python along with a web application in Elixir with Phoenix Liveview
- Automate monitoring and administration of the data infrastructure to help us grow our microservice architecture
- Collaborate with engineering on query tuning and schema design, so we can continue to scale
- Ensure compliance with the organization's high bar for data quality and modeling standards, across the product and related business areas
- Participate in the on-call rotation and document administration and response procedures through runbooks & playbooks
Are you our next Data Engineer?
- Strong software developer
- Have a solid understanding of SQL
- Love to learn new technologies. You are the type that welcomes the challenge of learning something new and works hard to develop expertise as fast as possible
- Passion for scalability and big data
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science, mathematics, economics, engineering, or other related fields
- Experience with Apache Airflow
- Experience with Elixir/Phoenix and Liveview
- Strong SQL and schema design experience
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Full private medical coverage (medical, dental, vision)
- Retirement savings program
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible Work Schedule
- Education Reimbursement
- Quarterly team events and outings
- Team lunches
- Free lunches twice a week, on-site cafe discount, plus an endless snack and drink supply
- Social responsibility program (volunteer hours and donation matching program)
- Front row seat to Master Educator lectures – check out our Lecture Series videos
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion within our company. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or ability status. We will ensure that individuals who are differently abled are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment as provided to other applicants or employees. Please contact us to request accommodation.
At Course Hero, we have an awesome team and a truly engaging culture. We are customer-focused, collaborative, responsible, gritty, and we love to learn. Our bold mission is to help students graduate confident and prepared!
We are not the only ones that think we’re onto something big. Course Hero has been recognized as one of the 2021 Top 100 Best Places to Work in the Bay Area, Top 50 Best Paying Companies in the Bay Area, Top 100 Most Transparent Companies, and in the Top 50 Most Transformational Companies in Education Technology. Read up on some of our recent news coverage, blog, and learn more about us to see what it is like to work with our team.