Senior Engineering Manager, Machine Learning Foundation
Posted 1 month ago
“The front page of the internet, Reddit brings over 450 million users together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities. This network of communities generates a corpus of knowledge and opinion that is second to none, and Reddit takes responsibility for helping users navigate, learn from and participate in these communities.
As Engineering Manager for Machine Learning Foundation, you will set and drive Reddit’s strategy for making this corpus of knowledge accessible, developing platforms for content classification and recommendations. You will drive the next generation of content understanding that will create new applications at Reddit and support Reddit growth. You will recruit and build multiple teams charged with delivering the best available technology for Reddit’s corpus, and set a culture of learning, empathy and excellence.
How You’ll Have Impact:
Google, Microsoft, Facebook, and OpenAI have all trained their premier text-models using Reddit data because we have one of the single most important corpora of conversational data in the world. We are one of the largest sites on the internet and generate an enormous volume of content and activity on a daily basis. The decisions your team drives will influence the experience of millions of users around the world.
Collaborating within the larger Reddit Data organization, you will partner with additional ML, Data, Product and Engineering teams to identify Reddit’s needs for advanced machine learning and set a strategy to meet those needs. You will be responsible for signal quality, systems reliability and responsiveness to new technology and new trends.
As the founding team manager and in a high priority area for Reddit, will be accountable for building, growing, and mentoring a world-class team of engineers and scientists to help Reddit reach its goal of bringing community and belonging to everyone.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop, drive and execute the long term vision and strategy for content understanding and machine learning platforms at Reddit.
- Lead, manage and grow the Machine Learning Foundation organization, including Content Classification, ML Platform and additional teams over time. Provide mentorship and growth opportunities for team members to evolve in their roles.
- Ensure development of consistent high quality data products and ensure the adoption of these products throughout the organization
- Standardize data quality measurements by establishing metrics, building tools and processes.
- Work with external vendors and aid build vs buy decisions
- Work closely with data privacy and data security teams at Reddit to help guide the data privacy policies and complying with data protection regulations
Who You Might Be:
- 3+ years of experience building and leading machine learning teams.
- 8+ years of experience building clean, maintainable, and well-tested code.
- Effective communicator who can translate complex technical concepts into simple ideas depending on the audience.
- Experience with machine learning, big data and streaming data approaches in large data scale organizations
- Experience with building machine learning research functions; growing a machine learning research practice