Senior Data Scientist
Course Hero is scaling! We are looking for an experienced Senior Data Scientist to join our Data Science and Analytics team. In this role, you will work with big data sets, using deep statistical models, to drive substantial insights and solve high impact business problems. You will be telling the story behind your insights -- painting a picture to our partners, explaining what the numbers are telling us, and recommending product changes, new features, and A/B tests for implementation. As a guideline, you may expect to spend 80% of your time individually driving analyses and insights, and 20% mentoring other team members.
The analytics team at Course Hero is central to our functional organization, and heavily influences the strategy and tactics of our company’s roadmap. The analytics team is growing in order to generate more and more analytical insights to fuel Course Hero’s growth while giving directions to our product strategy. We are also constantly improving and innovating ways that Course Hero can use data to drive growth and pivotal initiatives.
The charter for the Data Science and Analytics team at Course Hero is to focus on supporting the business and product teams with planning, tracking, measuring and enabling insights to support key decisions. The team will be building models and narratives around student and educator journeys, marginal value and utility, customer and asset lifetime value, inferred intent, behaviors, usage, trends, and economic demand curves powering content recommendations, pricing and other applied data science initiatives. This is a technically-engaged, high-visibility position leading analytics for varied partners across business, operations, products, marketing and engineering.
Here are some ways you’ll make an impact:
- Influence how we build a focused high-throughput data science and analytics organization, and enhance our collaborative culture
- Establish data rigor, data integrity, accuracy, responsiveness and execution cadence across all data science and analytics programs
- Build frameworks and tools to automate ad-hoc and post-hoc analysis requests
- Collaborate with the Machine Learning team on exploratory data analysis for enabling semantic search, fraud analytics, spam detection models, document optimization and analysis to support applied machine learning across all product initiatives
- Create and implement ML models to support Course Hero products
- Mine structured and unstructured data platforms to understand customer attributes, user journeys, engagement with the products, and growth opportunities for our business
- Design and analyze A/B tests and propose innovative A/B testing techniques to help us learn about our millions of users
- Propose critical initiatives to help our functional partners to achieve their goals and drive growth
- Successfully communicate data findings to internal and external team members
Are You Our Next Senior Data Scientist?
- 5+ years of working experience in data science or analytics
- Deep understanding of statistics and probability, quantitative sciences, data analysis, natural language processing, text mining, econometrics, and distributed data processing
- Skilled in predictive modeling, statistical modeling, data mining, numerical simulation, stochastic modeling, time series analysis, and portfolio modeling
- Quantitative experience in B2C markets
- Track record of delivering decision support models and quantitative analysis with impactful insights
- Hands-on technical skills in Python, SQL, Map/Reduce, RegEx, and Linux scripting
- Experience with large data platforms such as Hadoop, MapReduce, Spark, Hive, and Pig
- MS or PhD degree in a scientific or quantitative field
- Experience mentoring or leading other data scientists
- Knowledge and experience working with Google Analytics, Tableau, Amplitude, and Treasure Data
- Experience working in education or e-commerce domain
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Full private medical coverage (medical, dental, vision)
- Retirement savings program
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible Work Schedule
- Education Reimbursement
- Quarterly team events and outings
- Team lunches
- Free lunches twice a week, on-site cafe discount, plus an endless snack and drink supply
- Social responsibility program (volunteer hours and donation matching program)
- Front row seat to Master Educator lectures – check out our Lecture Series videos
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion within our company. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or ability status. We will ensure that individuals who are differently abled are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment as provided to other applicants or employees. Please contact us to request accommodation.
At Course Hero, we have an awesome team and a truly engaging culture. We are customer-focused, collaborative, responsible, gritty, and we love to learn. Our bold mission is to help students graduate confident and prepared!
We are not the only ones that think we’re onto something big. Course Hero has been recognized as one of the 2021 Top 100 Best Places to Work in the Bay Area, Top 50 Best Paying Companies in the Bay Area, Top 100 Most Transparent Companies, and in the Top 50 Most Transformational Companies in Education Technology. Read up on some of our recent news coverage, blog, and learn more about us to see what it is like to work with our team.