Data Engineering Manager - Open to all locations
Hi there! We're looking for 2 experienced Data Engineering Managers to join the Data Operations team at Zapier. Our Data Operations team is split into several functional teams, and two of them are looking for strong leaders. One is our Core Data Engineering team which is responsible for data infrastructure (Data Engineers, Site Reliability), and the second is our Data Warehouse Engineers who work in a semi-embedded model with our Decision Sciences team. They are organized by stakeholder focus, so we’re supporting the major business units across Zapier. Please indicate on your application which position you have an interest in, if you have a preference. We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. We hope you'll take the leap and apply.
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Working on Diversity and Inclusivity
- You are an effective team builder. This isn't your first management role or your second. You know how to hire, train, and develop engineers from all backgrounds. You understand the benefits of building a diverse and inclusive team and leading them in an equitable way. You may not have hired or managed hundreds of people before, but you have hired, trained, and managed at least a few employees before.
- You are a skilled written communicator. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication.
- You have experience managing technical teams: You’ve helped a team optimize execution, deliver technical projects, refine Agile processes to support the team, establishing and communicating timelines.
- You have experience managing stakeholders. You’ve collaborated with stakeholders to understand and prioritize their needs. You advocate for your team and their needs by building strong relationships with engineering architecture, security and infrastructure teams.
- You can communicate about technical topics without unnecessary jargon. You translate unfamiliar data and engineering concepts into approachable ones for teammates with less experience working with those domains.
- You understand that the perfect is the enemy of the good and default to action by shipping MVP and iterating as needed to get towards better solutions.
- You are a coach at heart: You understand that leading a team is about coaching and mentoring people on stakeholder management, communication and other soft skills and you’re comfortable redirecting people gracefully when they could be on a better path.
- You have helped people develop their career plans: You understand how to help people find their strengths and give them opportunities to grow and develop them.
- You have helped teams resolve prioritization conflicts: You are able to deftly negotiate across multiple stakeholder teams to make sure the highest value work is identified.
Things You Might DoZapier is a growing company, so you'll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. Here are some things you'll get a taste of:
- Develop effective ways to communicate, monitor, and lead your team through weekly one-on-one’s and team meetings.
- Work closely with other Data Operations, Decision Science and product teams to create teams that deliver technical solutions and tools to our internal customers.
- Help set technical roadmaps that will help the team achieve their goals.
- Keep Data Operations management informed on your team’s progress in one-on-ones, update posts, and regular team hangouts.
- Participate in code reviews, learning and spreading technical knowledge throughout all of engineering, data and otherwise, moving knowledge to documentation where appropriate.
- Actively recruit, onboard, and train new engineers at Zapier with a focus on building diverse teams. This might involve tweaking the skills portions of interviews or writing better documentation.
- Ensure the members of Data Ops are pulling in the same direction while also making sure we’re leveraging their diverse skillsets.
- As a part of Zapier's all-hands philosophy, help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible.
About Data at ZapierZapier relies on dozens of systems that emit data about Zapier and our potential and current users and partners. This data is useful for us to make a better product, better decisions, and understand our weaknesses and opportunities. The data team at Zapier pulls this data from DBs, APIs, and event streams, collocates it and then processes it through all the disparate systems to bring them together in a reliable, timely, performant, and easy to understand way to employees and systems that need it. Within the data operations team, we're made up of several sub-teams: Data Engineering focusing on data infrastructure and storage, compute, ingest, and dimensional modeling; Data Products focusing on building statistical and ML tools and models; and Data Governance focusing on increasing the value of the data through stewardship. We work closely with our partner org, Decision Science who in turn focus on exposing the data in useful and self-service form and extract insights and recommend strategies based on their findings. Our stack is best summed up by: AWS Redshift (and the related AWS products AWS Glue, Redshift Spectrum, AWS S3), Looker, Airflow, Matillion ETL, Kafka, Python, and NiFi. But we're pragmatic -- for example, we have some Java for ingesting data from Kafka, and we use Clojure for inferring schema and other information about data sets. About Zapier Zapier helps people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love. We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing. We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle. We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done. We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct. The Whole Package Location: Earth Our distributed environment lets us work with the best people. You don't have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere. We have business entities in the US, Canada and the UK. Folks in other parts of the world are hired as contractors. We’re happy to explain how this works in your interview with the recruiting ream. Compensation:
- Competitive salary (we pay based on the norms of your country)
- Healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year.
- Travel of 5% - 10% for company retreats which rotate to various cities throughout North America
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
Job tags: Airflow AWS Engineering ETL Healthcare Java Kafka Looker ML Python Redshift Security Travel
Job region(s): Remote/Anywhere