Head of Data Science - Strategy & Operations
Hatfield, Hertfordshire, UK
“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using advanced artificial intelligence, robotics, big data, the cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond. With everything from websites to highly automated warehouses that we design in-house, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies, working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We currently recruiting for newly created roles within the Data Science team, as Head of Data Science - Strategy & Operations you will be responsible for setting up the newly created Data Science Strategy & Operations team that will be responsible for making sure that we use best practices in our applications of machine learning. The team will also be responsible for our approach to community building and responsible AI and will own the overall data and data science strategy.
Your Key Responsibilities:
As Head of Data Science your main responsibilities of this role is to drive a consistent strategy around the use of data and data science across Ocado Technology and to make sure that this strategy is supported by best practices, optimal tooling and other processes required to make it a success.
You will be responsible for:
- Being an evangelist for the responsible use of data science across Ocado that helps bring data science to the core of how we think about product development
- Driving the Ocado Technology wide data and data science strategy
- Developing our approach to trust and responsibility when applied to ML and data use
- Develop an approach to building a data community inside and outside of Ocado
- Developing a research and development roadmap for ML needs
- Developing best practices and blue prints for the application of data science and operations research
- Coordinating and aligning the ways of working across the streams and helping prioritise the demands for the teams working on data and ML platform
- Driving the long term recruitment strategy (e.g. by developing apprenticeships) and keeping track of the overall headcount needs
We would like to hear from you if you have:
- Knowledge of data science and machine learning and in particular around the business value that this can provide - you have been there, done that and bought the t-shirt when it comes to bringing data science to an organisation
- Ability to tell a convincing story internally and externally
- Ability to manage complex stakeholder relationships (incl C-suite), to influence but also to listen
- Experience with responsibility and trust as applied to data science and data
- Knowledge of ML platform tooling, processes and life cycles
- Proactive problem solver comfortable with ambiguity
Bonus points if you also have:
- Knowledge of the data science startup ecosystem
- Experience in online retail or with applying machine learning to physical hardware
- Line management experience
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.