Data Scientist, Decisions - Self-Driving Open Platform
San Francisco, CA
At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
We care deeply about delivering the best transportation experience; this means the best experience for the passenger and the best experience for the driver. We believe this quality of service can only be achieved with a deep understanding of our world, our cities, our streets: how they evolve, how they breathe. We embrace the powerful positive impact autonomous transportation will bring to our everyday lives. With our ambition, we will become a leader in the development and operation of such vehicles. Thanks to our network, with hundreds of millions of rides every year, we have the means to make autonomy a safe reality. As a member of Level5, you will have the opportunity to develop and deploy tomorrow’s hardware & software solutions and thereby revolutionize transportation.
The Open Platform team is expanding Lyft's transportation platform to include self-driving vehicles. Our goal is to provide a seamless experience by bridging the gap between our rideshare experience today and Lyft’s autonomous future. To date, we have given over 100,000 self-driving rides on the Lyft platform, and this number continues to grow each day.
Data Science is at the heart of our Open Platform products and decision-making. As a member of the Level 5 Science team, you will work in a dynamic environment, where we embrace moving quickly to build the future of transportation. Data Scientists take on a variety of problems ranging from shaping critical business decisions to building algorithms that power our internal and external products. We’re looking for passionate, driven Data Scientists to take on some of the most interesting and impactful problems in self-driving.
As a Data Scientist, Decisions, you will leverage data and rigorous, analytical thinking to shape the team product and business decisions. You will identify and scope opportunities, shape priorities, recommend solutions, design experiments, and measure impact. You will bring a quantitative mindset to decision-making in partnership with product, business, and operations stakeholders throughout the organization.
Sample problems that we solve:
- How do we optimize utilization of our fleet of self-driving cars?
- Where and how should we launch and grow our self-driving pilots?
- How can we improve the user end-to-end experience of hailing self-driving cars on our platform?
- How do we optimize our app workflows to offer more users the self-driving experience?
- Leverage data and analytic frameworks to identify opportunities for growth and efficiency of our pilots
- Partner with product managers, engineers, marketers, designers, and operators to translate data insights into decisions and action
- Design and analyze experiments; communicate results and act on launch decisions
- Define science roadmap to ensure success of current and future self driving pilots
- Establish metrics that measure the health of our marketplace and rider experience
- Collaborate with our business team on business models to build successful partnerships with other self-driving companies
- Degree in a quantitative field such as statistics, economics, applied math, operations research, engineering or relevant work experience. Advanced degrees are preferred
- 3+ years of industry experience in a data science or analytics role is preferred
- Proficiency in SQL - able to write structured and efficient queries on large data sets
- Experience in programming is preferred, especially with data science and visualization libraries in Python
- Experience with business modeling is preferred
- Strong oral and written communication skills, and ability to collaborate with and influence cross-functional partners
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.