AI Research Engineer - Future of Climate Residency
Warrington, Cheshire, UK
IBM Research Scientists are charting the future of Artificial Intelligence, creating breakthroughs in quantum computing, discovering how blockchain will reshape the enterprise, and much more. Join a team that is dedicated to applying science to some of today's most complex challenges, whether it’s discovering a new way for doctors to help patients, teaming with environmentalists to clean up our waterways or enabling retailers to personalize customer service.
Your Role and Responsibilities
IBM Research Europe seeks an AI Research Engineer with a strong background in computer science (preferably skilled in Natural Language Processing) to join the UK team a one-year Future of Climate Residency.
IBM’s Future of Climate initiative aims to address the pressing issue of mitigating the effects and impacts of climate change. Given the urgency, we must accelerate the process of discovery to enable our sustainable future.
You will join IBM’s global initiative to accelerate scientific progress by discovering new materials to capture carbon dioxide out of flue gases. You will collaborate across the globe to develop NLP pipelines for (1) automatic extraction of information, (2) representation learning for knowledge, and (3) query answering over the captured insights; while doing so, you will contribute to original research in the field and publish at top-quality conferences (e.g., ACL, NAACL, KDD, AAAI, NeurIPS).
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science or postgraduate degree in a closely related field.
- Strong software development skills in Python. You should have proven experience taking ideas to fully developed software stacks that are easy to use (for example, a well-documented open-source library that helped a community work better and faster).
- Working knowledge of deep learning techniques (especially on transformers and language models) and popular machine learning frameworks (e.g. TensorFlow and PyToch).
- Experience and aptitude in pushing the boundaries of scientific methods, especially in NLP. You have developed innovative applications using NLP for knowledge extraction and have experience in using or developing models that achieve or outperform the state of the art.
- Ability to collaborate with a global team. You are a clear communicator and quick to get to the point, deliver work on time and are proactive in generating novel ideas to achieve the team’s milestones.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- You know how to deploy software on the cloud, especially on container platforms.
- You have the know-how in developing and deploying scalable public-facing APIs.
- Experience with agile development. You can work with a team, be a proactive member of Scrum meetings and deliver promptly.
About Business Unit
With more than 3,000 researchers in 12 labs located across six continents, IBM Research brings together hundreds of researchers who possess unparalleled industry expertise to address some of the world's most challenging problems. Join us as we do pioneering work in areas such as cognitive computing, augmented intelligence, quantum computing, and blockchain, to name a few.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Job tags: AI Consulting Deep Learning Machine Learning NLP Python Research Scrum TensorFlow
Job region(s): Europe