Manager, Machine Learning
Posted 5 months ago
Hiring in Canada and the US
At Urbint, our mission is to make communities more resilient. We do this by pairing external data with artificial intelligence to identify areas of high risk and prevent catastrophic loss for utilities and infrastructure operators across the country. We are a team of close-knit engineers, entrepreneurs, and data geeks who obsess over problem-solving, new technologies, and making a positive impact in our communities.
We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.
At Urbint, the machine learning team does not work on making consumers spend more or on maximizing clicks. That is all fine; we work on reducing carbon emissions, reducing infrastructure risk and avoiding fatalities. We find meaning and excitement solving these problems, and we hope you do, too.
We are looking for a Data Science Manager to join our high visibility, high impact Machine Learning team to help with this mission. The ML team collaborates with a diverse, broader-mission team to deliver value for our customers. Members of the Machine Learning team have the option to major/minor in areas from a large data science specialization spectrum: Technical Product Management, People Management, Data Story-Telling, Applied ML, ML Research, AutoML (Algo/Performance) and MLOps (DE, SRE). This is a great role for someone who enjoys variety and is also looking to expand their skill set in a structured fashion.
What You’ll Do
- You will build and manage a team of data scientists to deliver a portfolio of Machine Learning projects.
- Provide technical guidance for the team to formulate the research problem, design experiments and narrow down the solution space.
- Enable the team via cross-team coordination.
- Manage your team’s sprint goals, stories and deliverables.
- You will be very hands-on, involved in developing tools that enable team productivity and accelerate deliverable quality.
- Ensure the Data Science solutions clearly reflect and effectively solve the business problem in question.
- Will be responsible for your team’s deliverables with a bias towards speed to value.
- You will have strong communication and organizational skills.
- You will convey complex ideas & trade-off decisions to business stakeholders.
- You will be the go-to person for in-depth questions on the underlying math behind common ML tools & techniques.
- [If interested] You will grow into providing strategic guidance in leveraging data science to shape product vision, business strategy and drive competitive moats or differentiators.
- You will map problem space to solution space and prioritize R&D projects based on business impact, feasibility, complexity and scalability.
- Ensure technical priorities align with internal business priorities, customer value and broader market demand (i.e Product Market Sales fit).
- Present technical plans to senior executives and key stakeholders and evangelize that technical vision within the organization.
- Overall, you will be responsible for delivering business value at scale via Machine Learning.
Who You Are
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in data science/machine learning roles of which 1(+?) year(s) includes leading a team.
- You love to be hands-on. We are not looking for a project manager.
- Expert level in coding, package management & architecture designs.
- Experience in Agile and comfortable with startup environments.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and experience maximizing team productivity.
- Up to date with what’s under the hood of some of the advanced ML tools available.
Nice to Have
- Experience building AutoML tools.
- People management experience.
- Experience in or interest towards Machine Learning Product Management.
- Track record of creating excellent slack emojis and memes.
- Mission-driven - some companies use AI to serve better digital ads and trade stocks; we seek to make our communities safer and more resilient
- 100% remote - work from anywhere
- Remote work monthly stipend
- Competitive compensation package
- Best in class medical coverage - 100% benefits and premiums paid
- Health perks - wellness reimbursement
- Educational allowance - up to $1000 /yr
- Weekly lunch stipend
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
More AI/ML/Data Science position highlights
- Explore open Sr Data Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Data Operations Analyst Jobs
- Explore open Head of Data Science Jobs
- Explore open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality Jobs
- Explore open Data Scientist II Jobs
- Explore open Senior Marketing Data Analyst Jobs
- Explore open Lead Data Analyst Jobs
- Explore open Senior Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Explore open Data Science Manager Jobs
- Explore open Data Science Intern Jobs
- Explore open Data Scientist, Machine Learning Jobs
- Explore open Data Engineer: Business Intelligence Jobs
- Explore open Software Engineer - Machine Learning Jobs
- Explore open BI Data Analyst Jobs
- Explore open Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Explore open Manager, Data Engineering Jobs
- Explore open Software Development Engineer - Machine Learning Jobs
- Explore open Data Engineer III Jobs
- Explore open Senior Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Explore open Data Science Consultant Jobs
- Explore open Senior Data Engineer - Streaming Jobs
- Explore open Financial Data Analyst Jobs
- Explore open Data Engineering Manager (Data Science & Analytics) Jobs
- Explore open Computer Vision Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Business Data Analyst Jobs
- Explore open Airflow-related jobs
- Explore open Economics-related jobs
- Explore open Looker-related jobs
- Explore open PyTorch-related jobs
- Explore open Consulting-related jobs
- Explore open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Explore open Healthcare-related jobs
- Explore open Travel-related jobs
- Explore open Data Mining-related jobs
- Explore open Open Source-related jobs
- Explore open Pandas-related jobs
- Explore open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Explore open NLP-related jobs
- Explore open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Explore open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Explore open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Explore open Linux-related jobs
- Explore open BigQuery-related jobs
- Explore open Data pipelines-related jobs
- Explore open NoSQL-related jobs
- Explore open MySQL-related jobs
- Explore open NumPy-related jobs
- Explore open Keras-related jobs
- Explore open MongoDB-related jobs