Senior Data Scientist, Content Creation Analytics
“The front page of the internet, Reddit brings over 430 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities.
We are looking for a Data Scientist to work with the Content and Communities team (CNC) to understand the health of Reddit’s content ecosystem, measure the strategic importance of different content verticals, and build out plans to incentivize high quality creators in those verticals. By partnering with feature engineering teams and product managers, your work will directly shape conversation on one of the largest websites on the internet.
How You’ll Have Impact:
Reddit is fundamentally a User Generated Content business, and you will be pivotal in getting more users to create content more often. This past year, the CNC team shipped some exciting new products, including a human-in-the-loop platform that have enabled us to understand our content mix at a scale never before possible, as well as tools to give creators content insights into how well the community is receiving their posts. We’ll be leveraging these capabilities as we charge full steam into 2021. If you love exploring complicated systems and digging into user incentives and motivations, you’ll be a great role.
What You’ll Learn:
Reddit is uniquely oriented around content creation in a community context, and analysis of communities is at the heart of where social science, psychology, network analysis, and statistics come together to help us better understand people and how they group and interact. This is a complex and exciting problem space to explore, and you’ll lead the charge on studying what motivates users to participate in communities, users’ behaviors vary across them, and why users choose to participate in some and not others.
You will work side by side with a world-class org of Engineering, ML, Search, Data Science, Data Warehouse, and Analytics practitioners who work together to create a variety of capabilities for Reddit to be more successful in its decision-making and product creation. In this process, you will be exposed to a variety of new techniques in modeling, experimentation, statistical frameworks, machine learning, deep learning, and causal inference.
What You’ll Do:
- Build models to measure subreddit relatedness, recommend content to users, and project community growth rates
- Partner cross functionally to help define the CNC team’s roadmap and initiatives.
- Analyze trends in engagement in Reddit communities, and convert it into insights that drive higher levels of active engagement
- Build and design analytic infrastructure that help the CNC team tell detailed stories about Reddit’s moderators and engaged users
- Design and evaluate A/B tests and product feature experiments to determine the effectiveness of product strategy
- Define team metrics and goals and make them easily available through ETLs (extract/transform/load) and reporting dashboards
Who You Might Be:
- 3-5 years of experience in quantitative or data science roles, preferably for a consumer-facing service/app
- Proficiency with relational database (e.g., SQL)
- Familiarity with statistical analysis and programming languages (e.g., R / Python)
- Experience with social network analysis and/or natural language processing
- Results-oriented with a strong customer and business focus
- Entrepreneurial and self-directed, demonstrated ability to innovate and bias toward action in fast-paced environments
- Ability to communicate and discuss complex topics with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to tackle ambiguous and undefined problems