Staff Data Scientist, Econ Analytics
“The front page of the internet, Reddit brings over 430 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities.
We are looking for a Principal Data Scientist to work with our Economy team. The Economy team is focused on Direct-To-Consumer revenue and is crucial for the further monetization of Reddit. Our current efforts include awarding on the platform, exploring more uses for coin, and scaling Reddit Premium. Our vision is to enrich engagement and build a new revenue pillar to complement Ads revenue. As the Principal DS embedded on the team, you will be essential in helping us dig through the massive amounts of Reddit data and identify monetization opportunities. This is a truly unique zero-to-one data opportunity. If you enjoy white space and using data to find monetization opportunities, look no further.
How You’ll Have Impact:
You’ll be the expert in ensuring we understand what users are doing on the platform and what they would be willing to pay money for. You will help us make the right product decisions based on data insights, play with the massive amounts of data from one of the largest websites, and help define the culture and frameworks for future team members. Reddit sits in a unique place, where there are still a lot of low hanging fruit opportunities that will immediately impact millions of users and make a visible difference in our business KPIs.
What You’ll Learn:
- You will be deeply integrated with our innovative Economy team, which moves quickly and is constantly experimenting with unique product ideas to help achieve revenue goals. You’ll play a key role in determining the monetization strategy for users throughout their lifecycle. You’ll play with petabytes of data full of user interactions and events to develop new revenue opportunities that will impact the entire company.
- In addition, you will work side by side with a world-class org of Engineering, ML, Search, Data Science, Data Warehouse, and Analytics practitioners who work together to create a variety of capabilities for Reddit to be more successful in its decision-making and product creation. In this process, you will be exposed to a variety of new techniques in experimentation, statistical frameworks, machine learning, deep learning, and causal inference.
What You’ll Do:
- Interface with the Executive team on the data reasoning behind product strategy: why we are doubling down on specific bets and what is the expected outcome
- Lead proactive exploratory data analysis, distill data insights into strong product recommendations and own the A/B tests in order to ideate new opportunities for monetizing Redditors via coins, awarding, premium subscriptions, or a completely new product idea
- Partner with Eng and Product to define and execute Economy’s roadmap and initiatives
- Define team metrics and goals and scale data-informed decision making through ETLs and reporting dashboards
- Mentor and guide analysts from across the company on best practices, techniques, and thought processes
Who You Might Be:
- 7+ years of experience in data analytics or related quantitative role
- Demonstrated ability to influence, guide, and ideate product strategy with data
- Demonstrated ability to ideate data research, distill insights into strong product recommendations and lead A/B tests to test the data-led hypotheses
- Experience with monetizing consumer products or paid digital goods
- Experience interfacing with executive or C-suite level stakeholders
- Desire to mentor other data scientists and share best practices to elevate the data science practice at Reddit
- Proficiency with relational database (e.g., SQL) and statistical analysis/programming languages (e.g., R / Python)