Senior Data Engineer, Infrastructure Group
Forter is looking for a Senior Data Engineer with broad experience building state-of-the-art services and systems to join our Infrastructure group.
Reliability and latency at a massive scale are critical to our success. Every request we process is important to everyone involved. We can’t go down because our customers’ businesses depend on us: we processed eCommerce transactions worth over $200B in 2020, and decided on billions of critical decisions.
If this kind of working environment sounds exciting to you, if you understand that Engineering is about building the most effective and elegant solution within a given set of constraints - consider applying for this position. But hold on, you best check the position requirements below first :)
Stuff you’ll be doing:
- Design, build and maintain the core data infrastructure used by all of Forter’s engineering teams
- Design, build and maintain multi-cloud, multi-region, geo-distributed high-throughput systems with a 99.999% availability SLA target
- Build a great customer experience for developers using your infrastructure
- Tackling scalability, performance, usability, and reliability challenges in a variety of fields such as BigData, Security, Monitoring & Alerting, Cloud Infrastructure
- Implementing systems that are highly resilient and self-healing with the intent of replacing Alerts and Ops work with automation wherever possible
Stuff we need you to have:
- 5+ years developing complex software projects (Python / Ruby / Go / JAVA / etc.)
- Extensive experience working with public clouds (AWS / GCP / Azure)
- Experience with relational DBs and NoSql DBs (Redshift, MySQL, Redis, ElasticSearch, Couchbase, etc. We love them all)
- Experience with implementing highly available and fault-tolerant data solutions
- Understanding of best practices in designing optimal system and storage architectures
- Solid system analysis skills and good troubleshooting grasp
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production
- Fluent in written and spoken English
Projects you could work on:
We have a ton of important work to do, which is why we’re hiring! Our projects are of course changing all the time, but here are a few that we’ve either done in the past or are planning for the near future, so you can get an idea of the types of work we do.
- Cross-region and cross-cloud data replication services, on top of our event-sourcing backbone.
- Abstraction layer to support a messaging infrastructure that is cloud-agnostic yet leverages managed-solutions on AWS and Azure (on top of Kafka)
- Build common libraries and infra for database access, including support for workarounds around database connection limits and sharding solutions
- Provide tools to run common database Ops (e.g. data and schema changes) on multiple large-scale clusters on multi-region and multi-cloud setup
- Build tools to copy TB to PB of data between regions and clouds in cost and time effective manners
It’d be really cool if you also:
- Experience with tools like Vitess
- Experience with data replication technologies - across geo and clouds
- Experience in implementing DR / backup and recovery strategies for 24X7 databases
What it’s like to work at Forter:
We believe that head-count is a vanity metric (i.e. more doesn’t necessarily mean better), and that people matter! This is why we prefer smaller teams of talented and cohesive teams over “just give us some more working hands”.
We believe that the metric we should optimize for is increasing the IQ and EQ of our team over time, by building an organization that will draw such people to us. We care immensely about how the team works together, and we’re not shy from hard conversations. When you try to make an impact, friction (of opinions, or business constraints) is something you need to deal with.
We don’t have QA, we don’t have Architects (“CTO team”), we don’t have a NOC or Ops team. We look at our team as part of the system that we build, so we optimize the process and tools to fit our team. Most of our team has a generalist-mindset, but our system is vast and we have people developing expertise in areas they are passionate about.
We are big believers in having Skin in the game as a way of setting the alignment of incentives to build things right, and picking boring technology as we respect the complexity of our system and business.
You should join to help us build a better version of Forter, rather than a smaller version of a large company.
If you’re up for the challenge, please submit your CV.