Senior Data Scientist
New York City
The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $89B+ by 2024!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
You love data, both big and small. You are passionate about developing models and generating insights that inform business decision making, product design, and that drive customer delight. You are a driven self-starter that can work proactively and collaboratively across functions at all levels of the organization and feel at home in the fast-paced and challenging environment of a rapidly growing software business.
MongoDB is one of the fastest growing technologies of all time and data is essential to maintaining our pace of growth. The Senior Data Scientist will be a key contributor to our emerging data science function with responsibility for developing and deploying production-level models.
What you'll be doing
- Develop machine learning and forecast models to enhance reliability and scalability of the MongoDB data platform around workload and resource optimization, anomaly detection, machine failure prediction, etc.
- Own end-to-end implementation of data science projects (data preparation, feature engineering and model evaluation) in collaboration with data analysts, data scientists, data engineers, software engineers, and product managers
- Facilitate reframing business challenges as analytical and/or machine learning tasks in coordination with stakeholders, data analysts, and data scientists
- Communicate, coordinate, and collaborate effectively with end-users of data science products and respond to stakeholder needs
- Mentor junior data scientists via pairing, algorithm and model review, and code review to promote a culture of scientific rigor and raise the bar for best practices across the whole team
What we're looking for
- MS or above in a quantitative/computational discipline (computer science, applied mathematics, statistics, physics, operations research, etc.)
- 3+ years experience working in a quantitative or research role at a tech company or a research organization
- Familiarity and comfort working in a big data environment with unstructured or semi-structured data using SQL and Python (MQL plus)
- Ability to develop and deploy complex machine learning models at scale using Python; Spark is a plus
- Demonstrated knowledge of end-to-end deployment solutions for data science products
- Good understanding of the risks and trade-offs involved in choosing different models
- Ability to seek empirical evidence through proofs of concept, statistical validation and external research
- Excellent communication skills - oral, written, and visual, including the ability to communicate complex technical issues to a cross-team and cross-functional audience
- Commitment to continuous improvement, with a passion for building processes/tools to make everyone more efficient
- Commitment to contributing to a collaborative, enjoyable, and psychologically safe work environment
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.