AI Research Scientist
Yorktown Heights, New York, US
IBM Research Scientists are charting the future of Artificial Intelligence, creating breakthroughs in quantum computing, discovering how blockchain will reshape the enterprise, and much more. Join a team that is dedicated to applying science to some of today's most complex challenges, whether it’s discovering a new way for doctors to help patients, teaming with environmentalists to clean up our waterways or enabling retailers to personalize customer service.
Your Role and Responsibilities
We are seeking Research Scientist candidates with demonstrated publication records in one or more of our focus areas and technical leadership potential. As part of the IBM Research team, you will conduct world-class research on innovative technologies and solutions and publish in top-tier conferences and journals. You will also can contribute to the commercialization of the resulting assets. Demonstrated communication skills and ability to work independently, as well as in a team, are highly desired traits.
You should have one or more of the following skills:
- Ability to design fundamentally new computationally tractable algorithms for machine learning and deep learning formulations using mathematical optimization theory.
- Ability to publish new research demonstrated with a solid track record of publishing regularly in top AI/ML conferences such as ICML, NeurIPs, creating and leveraging AI/ML and Optimization techniques to build applications for enterprise functions.
- Ability to be hands-on with ML/DL model development and implementation to build reusable software assets in an industrial context.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience in developing new mathematical formulations for machine learning and deep learning methods to model constrained learning problems in applied context
- Experience with machine learning tools and frameworks, such as sklearn, Tensorflow, Caffe, Torch
- Expertise and experience in programming in one or more of these languages: Java, Python, C, C++
- Advanced skill level in solving analytical problems using rigorous and quantitative approaches and at least 2 years of experience in an industrial research setting.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Computer Science, Applied Mathematics or related technical fields
- Advanced skill level in creating and leveraging AI techniques, such as machine learning/deep learning, regression-optimization, causal modeling, explainability, fairness, robustness, distributed learning, and HW acceleration.
- Experience communicating your research in technical communities, such as publications in NIPS, CVPR, ICML, ICLR, IJCAI, AAAI, KDD, or similar
- Experience analyzing large scale data from a variety of sources
About Business Unit
With more than 3,000 researchers in 12 labs located across six continents, IBM Research brings together hundreds of researchers who possess unparalleled industry expertise to address some of the world's most challenging problems. Join us as we do pioneering work in areas such as cognitive computing, augmented intelligence, quantum computing, and blockchain, to name a few.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Job tags: AI Caffe Consulting Deep Learning Industrial Java Machine Learning ML Python Research TensorFlow
Job region(s): North America