Senior Data Scientist, Analytics - Product
About CalmWe have a simple mission at Calm: To make the world a happier and healthier place. The heart of Calm is digital but the brand is expanding offline into a variety of products and services that bring more peace, clarity and perspective into people’s busy lives. We are building Calm into the Nike of the Mind. We believe Calm can become one of the most valuable and meaningful brands in the world. Over 75 Million people have downloaded the app and we are growing by 100,000 new downloads a day. The company is profitable and headquartered in San Francisco, CA. Calm was co-founded by Alex Tew (Million Dollar Homepage) and Michael Acton Smith (Mind Candy, Moshi Monsters, Firebox).
Do you view yourself as a “left and right brained” thinker? We are hiring a data scientist to work closely with our product pods, composed of PMs, engineers, and designers, and we need someone who has both capabilities. You should be a creative thinker, who can empathize with our users, approach problems from unexpected angles, intuit good hypotheses to test, generate good feature ideas, and tell good stories about the data. At the same time, you are excellent at and have the training to analytically break down problems and then systematically and rigorously work towards optimal solutions and deep insights. In this role, you can have a major impact on how Calm iterates and in turn, deeply affect the millions of people whose lives are being transformed for the better by our product.
- Refine ambiguous product questions and help turn them into concrete hypotheses that can be examined with tests and data analysis
- Help the product pod design experiments to ensure that we will efficiently learn what we set out to learn
- Use rigorous statistical approaches to interpret findings correctly
- Do deep-dive analysis to help us develop a more nuanced understanding of our users, their needs, motivations and paint points, so that the team can progress beyond current ways of thinking and find new opportunities
- Elicit data-driven action and decision making by presenting findings in dashboards and presentations
- Work to make our product roadmap data-driven and systematic
- Develop a thought partnership with product to build trust and ensure that strategic decisions will be data-driven
- Improve and automate tools for analyzing tests
- Help build out and support data tools and our data warehouse
- At least five years of industry experience with a focus on product analytics
- Have a hypothesis-driven, scientific approach to breaking down and understanding critical questions and problems
- Strong storytelling skills. You don’t list out findings. Your presentations are narratives that drive listener engagement and increase the likelihood that your insights will change people’s thinking and lead to impact
- Strong experience with experimental design
- Strong knowledge of descriptive and inferential statistics
- Ability to write complex SQL queries
- Fluent in python or R (python preferable), along with use of jupyter notebooks
- Experience with a data visualization tool like Tableau or Mode
- Very strong product sense. You have good ideas for product changes and intuitions about what users like and dislike about our product
- Very strong business sense. You understand how to prioritize, what actions are likely to be impactful, and which levers to pull
- Balance the need to move quickly with diligence and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently. You can develop partnerships, identify areas of opportunity on your own, and can complete projects with minimal guidance
- Proactive and highly motivated. You will help us figure out which problems matter that we aren’t thinking about. You will go beyond your scope if you see an opportunity to solve an important problem
- Bonus points if you have working knowledge of supervised and unsupervised machine learning and/or advanced statistical methods such as causal inference, bayesian statistics, multilevel modeling, etc.
Bonus points if you have graduate-level scientific training
- At least four years of industry experience in data analytics
- Competitive salary and equity
- Unlimited PTO
- We pay your medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums
- Commuter benefits
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Opportunity to work with a product focused on making the world happier and healthier
- And much more!
Calm is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, both in our hiring practices and in our experiences as a Calm employee. We strive to create a mindful and respectful environment where everyone can bring their authentic self to work, and experience a culture that is free of harassment, racism, and discrimination.
Calm is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Calm is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. Please inform Calm’s Recruiting team if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.