Data Science Manager
Data Science Manager - Area Lead (SF)
The Data Science team works closely with our product, customer success, and sales teams; we work to make sure teams are asking the right questions and then find those answers. Our data informs us of the impact we are having on the world, and our team is crucial to architecting and building our data infrastructure. We also design and use data analysis tools that increase our data’s scalability, accuracy, and accessibility. We understand our company’s goals and proactively inform their direction with data so that our product can help more teams do great things.
As a Data Science Area Lead, you’ll be managing a team of 3-4 data scientists working across several product teams managing different features trying to drive a common goal (e.g. landing new customers in Asana). You’ll partner closely with product, engineering, and design leads to help set the strategy and direction for the overall team. You’ll also support and mentor the data scientists on your team.
You are someone who enjoys the challenge of balancing speed of results with robust statistical practice, deciding when to bias for one or the other based on product goals, as well as creating processes for your team that help them do the same. You are as enthusiastic about building and mentoring a team as you are about the challenging technical problems that you and your team will solve. Because the team is growing but still small now, you will balance your time between management and hands-on work with our product leaders, contributing work in experimentation, analysis and modeling.
What you’ll achieve
- Manage a team of data scientists partnering with Asana’s product teams
- Partner closely with Product Management, Design, and Engineering leaders to drive strategy
- Implement team practices that empower cross-functional partners to make data-informed decisions, striking a balance between rigorous quantitative methods and speed of decision-making
- Guide data scientists in their technical and professional development
- Work closely with recruiting and other data team managers to help grow the team
- Make your own hands-on contributions to the team’s data science work — designing and analyzing experiments, building ML models, and answering key questions with data
- BS/BA in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, related degree, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of total work experience in data science or an engineering related field
- 1+ years of experience managing a data science team solving product problems and driving product strategy
- Kind and intellectually curious
- Focused on maximizing impact for yourself, your team, and Asana as a whole
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done — and then doing it
- Excited to partner with product teams on both large, strategic data projects and routine partner work
- Strong technical background in computer science, statistics, math, information science, or another quantitative field
- Fluency in at least one modern language useful for statistics and/or data processing (e.g. Python, R, Scala)
- Proficiency with relational databases and SQL
- Proficiency with large-scale distributed data warehousing or processing platforms (e.g. Redshift, Hive, Spark, Elastic MapReduce) is a plus
- Experience managing a distributed team (in multiple geographic locations) is a plus
- Experience working with product design/development at a B2B SaaS company is a plus
At Asana, we're building a better way to work, fueled by transparency, inclusion, and technology that is a force for positive change. Asana is a work management platform that helps teams orchestrate their work, from daily tasks to strategic initiatives, so they can move faster and accomplish more with less. For the past 5 years, we've been named a top workplace, including top 10 Great Place to Work Best Small & Medium Workplaces, #1 Fortune Best Workplaces in the Bay Area, #8 Fortune Best Workplaces for Women, and one of Ireland's Best Workplaces. With offices all over the world, we are always looking for curious, collaborative, and mission-driven people to help us enable the world’s teams to work together effortlessly.
We believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive, and building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company is core to our mission. Our goal is to ensure that Asana upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, and veteran status.