Staff Statistician, Safety Data Science
San Francisco, CA
Cruise LLCCruise is the leading autonomous vehicle company driven to improve life in our cities by safely connecting people with places, things & experiences they love
We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
The Data Science and Analytics team within Cruise AI is dedicated to building metrics and models to explain and diagnose the performance of our AV technology. Our team guides strategic decision making through statistical analysis and experimentation, and improves the AV stack with data driven models, decision thresholds, and simulation testing.
What you’ll be doing:
The Safety DS & Analytics team focus on interpreting signals from on-road and simulation testing to measure and benchmark AV safety. In this role you will model the processes and related variances to measure the performance of an autonomous vehicle both on road and in simulation. Additionally, you will build predictive models to predict on-road behavior and models for root cause attribution. Some responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Hypothesis testing, power analyses, statistical estimation, and uncertainty modeling
- Bias estimation and subsampling/importance sampling strategies
- Account for intrinsic nonstationarity in underlying process performance
- Significance testing of system requirements
- Rendering precise formulations of ambiguous problem statements
What you’ll have:
- 5+ years of practical experience in statistical estimation
- Facility with standard statistical methods like linear and logistic regression, SVM, confidence intervals, significance testing
- Academic/industry experience in applying Bayesian methods, MCMC, Gibbs Sampling to real world problems
- Practical experience with imputation methods, censored regression
- Practical command over Python and/or R or similar analytical tools
- Excellent communication skills
- Extensive practical experience in statistical data analysis
- PhD in a quantitative discipline (statistics, operations, biostatistics, econometrics, etc.)
- Experience with specialized statistical topics including:
- rare event statistics
- active learning methods (Multiarm-Bandit, Active Thompson Sampling, etc.)
- causal inference using instrumental variables and other forms of multi-factor attribution methods
- observational trial design and analysis experience, including balancing and matching techniques
- sequential testing methods
- Familiarity with newer machine learning techniques such as neural networks (especially explainability techniques)
- Experience in a related robotics or autonomy discipline
- Practical experience with exploratory data analysis tools, e.g., SQL
- Practical experience with PyMC3
The salary range for this position is $175,500 - 258,000. Compensation will vary depending on location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. You may also be offered a bonus, restricted stock units, and benefits. These ranges are subject to change.Why Cruise?
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and life insurance
- Subsidized mental health benefits
- One Medical membership
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- 401(k) match
- Paid time off: vacation, sick, public health emergency, jury duty, bereavement and company holidays.
- Paid parental, family care and medical leave
- Family care benefits: fertility benefits, Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (subsidized by Cruise).
- Non-remote employees: Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan, healthy meals and snacks
- CruiseFlex - a working policy for US-Based Cruisers that lets you and your manager find what working style is best for you, whether it’s primarily in-person, primarily at home or a combination of home and in-office time.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, T. Rowe Price & Walmart have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
- Recurring Liquidity Opportunity (RLO) - a unique equity program where employees, both current and former, have the option to sell any amount of their vested equity on a recurring basis, currently quarterly.
- We’re Safety Conscious
- We integrate #staysafe, our top priority at Cruise, into our everyday work. Through our Safety Management System, every Cruiser is asked to do their part by reporting any potential issues or hazards they observe and making continuous improvements. You’ll be able to contribute to safety at Cruise, no matter your job function or title.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.
Tags: Bayesian Causal inference Data analysis Econometrics EDA Machine Learning PhD Python R Robotics SQL Statistics Testing
Perks/benefits: 401(k) matching Career development Equity Fertility benefits Flex hours Flexible spending account Flex vacation Health care Home office stipend Insurance Medical leave Parental leave Salary bonus Snacks / Drinks Wellness
More jobs like this
Los Angeles, CA, United … Los Angeles, CA, United States Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 142K - 185K USD 142K+
Senior Product Manager, Data Infrastructure and MLBanking Blockchain Crypto Data pipelines Engineering Machine Learning Pipelines +1
Career development Equity Health care Insurance Parental leave +3
New York City, United … New York City, United States Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 159K - 250K USD 159K+
Vice President, Data Strategy and Platforms (Data Architecture)Architecture Data management Data strategy Finance Spark Testing
Career development Health care Startup environment
United States United States Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 199K - 304K USD 199K+
Faire Wholesale, Inc.
Staff Machine Learning Engineer & Technical Lead - Search & RecommendationComputer Science E-commerce Elasticsearch Engineering Genetics Machine Learning ML models +4
Career development Equity Flex hours Team events
Orlando, Florida, United States Orlando, Florida, United States Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 69K - 128K * USD 69K+ *
Staff Software Engineer - Data Visualization - Full StackAPI Development APIs Big Data Computer Science Data Analytics Data visualization DevOps +8
Career development Flex hours Startup environment
New York City or … New York City or Remote Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 175K - 222K USD 175K+
Engineering Manager, Data Engineering & Data InfrastructureAWS Azure Big Data BigQuery Computer Science Data governance Data pipelines +18
401(k) matching Career development Equity Flex vacation Health care +1
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Power BI Developer jobs
- Open Junior Data Scientist jobs
- Open Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Director, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Product Data Analyst jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Data Manager jobs
- Open BI Analyst jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Associate Data Analyst- Customer Experience Group | Bangkok-based jobs
- Open Data Analyst (Statistics/Python/BI) (Bangkok-based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Cloud Data Engineer jobs
- Open Data Analyst, Partner Development - (Statistics/ML/BI) (Bangkok-based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Sr Data Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst, Partner Development - (Statistics/ML/BI) (Bangkok-based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Power BI-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open Data visualization-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Data management-related jobs
- Open Data quality-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open ML models-related jobs
- Open Finance-related jobs
- Open Privacy-related jobs
- Open Scala-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Deep Learning-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Data warehouse-related jobs
- Open PhD-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open CI/CD-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs