Senior Software Engineer, Big Data
Senior Software Engineer, Big Data
GoPro makes it easy for people to celebrate and share experiences. We believe life is more meaningful when shared. We build cameras, software, and accessories that help the world share itself in immersive and exciting ways.
GoPro is a global movement whose business is driven by shared experiences. We celebrate diversity. We practice inclusion. We foster belonging. We demand equality. And we share the experiences of individuals and communities who also hold these values as core to who they are. From São Paulo to Munich, Silicon Valley to Shenzhen, we are dedicated to building a company that reflects and honors the diverse global communities where we live, work, and play.
About Data Science Engineering (DSE)
DSE at GoPro is responsible for our in-house data platform infrastructure, data engineering and automated data analytics reporting. We are responsible for enabling and empowering our partners in product, engineering, product analytics, marketing teams by providing infrastructure, tools, services and visualization to access data and business reports.
About the Role
As part of this engineering team, you will work on vast amount of data from user management, subscriptions service, media service, mobile apps, desktop apps, camera, marketing, advertising, e-commerce and sales; you will work on diverse data technologies such as Spark, Superset, Airflow, Kafka, HBase, Hive, Scala, Java, SQL & others to build business-critical, scalable and robust data pipelines and intuitive data products that power data discovery & analysis. You are expected to work effectively with our development, analytics, marketing, and product teams to enable data-driven decisions which improve the experience of millions of users worldwide.
Please note that this position is NOT for the following roles:
- Data Scientist
- Data/Business Analyst
- Machine Learning Engineer/Machine Learning Algorithms Developer
Our primary development languages are Java and Scala. Therefore, this position is not suited for those who have Python, R, SQL focused skillsets.
What You Will Do
- What you will likely to do:
- Data engineering: design and develop data pipelines that ingest various data sources using Apache Spark and Apache Airflow
- Metrics reporting automation: develop metrics pipelines to generate product/business metrics, publish to Slack Channel and generate visualizations in Apache Superset
- Develop data services accessible through a Rest API and web UI
- Some of the projects we are working on
- Spark on K8s
- HBase migration
- Customer Data Platform
- You are passionate about work and coding
- You have the capability to synthesize business requirements and construct the technical requirements and engineering project plans
- You have a strong background in distributed data processing & software engineering and can build high-quality, scalable data products.
- You have strong knowledge of data architectures and data modeling and data infrastructure ecosystem.
- You have an analytical mindset and have a passion for solving business problems using data.
- You are a creative thinker, a strong problem solver with meticulous attention to detail and can tackle loosely defined problems.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills with an ability to communicate in a clear, collaborative and open-minded manner and effective manner with both technical and non-technical peers.
- Ability to articulate design and implementation choices.
- You have the ability to initiate and drive projects to completion with minimal guidance in a dynamic environment.
Skills We’re Stoked About
- MS or BS in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field OR equivalent practical experience in Data Engineering.
- 5-10 years of industry experience working with distributed data technologies (e.g. Hadoop, MapReduce, Spark, Hive, Kafka etc.) for building efficient, large-scale data pipelines.
- Strong software development experience with proficiency in at least one high-level programming language (Java, Scala or equivalent).
- Experience with relational databases (such as MySQL, Postgres), strong knowledge of SQL
- Experience building distributed, high-volume data services is a plus.
- Experience with Cloud Computing platforms like Amazon AWS is a plus.
- Get your very own GoPro camera + gear
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance – premiums are 100% paid for employees, 80% paid for dependents
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Generous time off policy
- 12 weeks paid parental leave for new parents
- Pre-tax and Roth 401(k) options
- Discounted employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
- LiveHealthy monthly wellness reimbursement
- Innovative remote-friendly wellness classes and events
- Flexible work arrangements
- Professional + personal development opportunities, i.e. LinkedIn Learning
- Opportunities to get involved in the causes that you care about
GoPro is an Equal Opportunity Employer.