Senior Software Engineer II, Machine Learning Data Acceleration
Cruise LLCCruise is the leading autonomous vehicle company driven to improve life in our cities by safely connecting people with places, things & experiences they love
We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
At Cruise, the Machine Learning Infrastructure organization (MLI) builds the essential tools, frameworks, and services used by every engineer at Cruise. MLI’s goal is to greatly accelerate the development cycle of AV engineers by building the infrastructure to process, analyze, and learn from the many petabytes of data coming from our AVs, simulated tests, and real time services, empowering engineers to focus on improving the car’s safety and performance.
As an engineer on this team, you will be responsible for building and supporting a petabyte-scale data platform in the cloud and providing powerful foundations for MLI’s tools, frameworks, and services. Responsibilities include ensuring scalable, transparent, and reliable data ingestion and management; development of fast, robust, and spike-resistant data consumption, data mining, and processing tools for the entire company; and development of orchestration for large-scale post-processing, and computational pipelines.What you’ll be doing:
- Use the latest technologies to own, design, implement, and test ideas to tackle the data loading problem within training. Champion engineering excellence by continuously improving systems and processes
- Own technical projects from start to finish, contribute to the team’s product roadmap, and be responsible for major technical decisions and tradeoffs. Effectively participate in team’s planning, code reviews and design discussions
- Consider the effects of projects across multiple teams and proactively manage conflicts. Work together with partner teams and orgs to achieve cross-departmental goals and satisfy broad requirements
- Conduct technical interviews with well-calibrated standards and play an essential role in recruiting activities. Effectively onboard and mentor junior engineers and/or interns
- Experience with some of the following, file system level and file format optimization and memory optimization and network optimization
- Strong coding C++ 11 or higher
- Experience doing low-level optimizations
- BS, MS or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or another relevant field; or equivalent real-world experience
- Passionate about self-driving technology and its potential impact on the world
- Attention to detail and a passion for truth
- A track record of efficiently solving complex problems
- Startup mentality - openness to dealing with unknown unknowns and wearing many hats
- Experience with Google Cloud storage, Azure Blob storage, or an open source like Apache Arrow
The salary range for this position is $163,200 - 240,000. Compensation will vary depending on location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. You may also be offered a bonus, restricted stock units, and benefits. These ranges are subject to change.Why Cruise?
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and life insurance
- Subsidized mental health benefits
- One Medical membership
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- 401(k) match
- Paid time off: vacation, sick, public health emergency, jury duty, bereavement and company holidays.
- Paid parental, family care and medical leave
- Family care benefits: fertility benefits, Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (subsidized by Cruise).
- Non-remote employees: Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan, healthy meals and snacks
- CruiseFlex - a working policy for US-Based Cruisers that lets you and your manager find what working style is best for you, whether it’s primarily in-person, primarily at home or a combination of home and in-office time.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, T. Rowe Price & Walmart have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
- Recurring Liquidity Opportunity (RLO) - a unique equity program where employees, both current and former, have the option to sell any amount of their vested equity on a recurring basis, currently quarterly.
- We’re Safety Conscious
- We integrate #staysafe, our top priority at Cruise, into our everyday work. Through our Safety Management System, every Cruiser is asked to do their part by reporting any potential issues or hazards they observe and making continuous improvements. You’ll be able to contribute to safety at Cruise, no matter your job function or title.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.
Tags: Arrow Azure Computer Science Data Mining Engineering GCP Google Cloud Machine Learning Mathematics ML infrastructure Open Source Physics Pipelines
Perks/benefits: 401(k) matching Career development Equity Fertility benefits Flex hours Flexible spending account Flex vacation Health care Home office stipend Insurance Medical leave Parental leave Salary bonus Snacks / Drinks Startup environment Team events Wellness
More jobs like this
Boston, MA, United States Boston, MA, United States Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 115K - 135K USD 115K+
Full Stack Software Engineer (ML Platform) - RemoteAgile AWS Big Data Computer Science Data pipelines DevOps Distributed Systems +14
Career development Flex vacation Health care Insurance Salary bonus +2
United States United States Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 199K - 304K USD 199K+
Faire Wholesale, Inc.
Staff Machine Learning Engineer & Technical Lead - Search & RecommendationComputer Science E-commerce Elasticsearch Engineering Genetics Machine Learning ML models +4
Career development Equity Flex hours Team events
New York City or … New York City or Remote Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 175K - 222K USD 175K+
Engineering Manager, Data Engineering & Data InfrastructureAWS Azure Big Data BigQuery Computer Science Data governance Data pipelines +18
401(k) matching Career development Equity Flex vacation Health care +1
Annapolis Junction, Maryland, United … Annapolis Junction, Maryland, United States Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 125K - 250K USD 125K+
Senior Software Engineer - Python / Java / Bash / AI / ML (Partial Remote)Computer Science Docker Engineering GPU Hadoop Jupyter Kubernetes +7
401(k) matching Career development Health care Insurance
San Francisco, CA, Washington, … San Francisco, CA, Washington, DC, New York … Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 150K - 185K USD 150K+
Senior Full-Stack Engineer, Data IngestionArchitecture AWS BigQuery Classification GCP GraphQL Kafka +7
Career development Competitive pay Health care Lunch / meals Unlimited paid time off
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Power BI Developer jobs
- Open Junior Data Scientist jobs
- Open Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Director, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Product Data Analyst jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Data Manager jobs
- Open BI Analyst jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Associate Data Analyst- Customer Experience Group | Bangkok-based jobs
- Open Data Analyst (Statistics/Python/BI) (Bangkok-based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Cloud Data Engineer jobs
- Open Data Analyst, Partner Development - (Statistics/ML/BI) (Bangkok-based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Sr Data Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst, Partner Development - (Statistics/ML/BI) (Bangkok-based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Power BI-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open Data visualization-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Data management-related jobs
- Open Data quality-related jobs
- Open ML models-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open Finance-related jobs
- Open Privacy-related jobs
- Open Scala-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Deep Learning-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Data warehouse-related jobs
- Open PhD-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open CI/CD-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs