Data Scientist Intern (4 months)
Mississauga, Ontario, CA
At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you've never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world's most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
This position resides in Mississauga, Ontario and is a 4-month work term commencing May 2021. It is mandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-time studies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work term.
With the support of a senior scientist, the candidate will have the opportunity to:
- Research, implement and evaluate the performance of image processing algorithms, supporting the development of Watson Health Imaging products.
- Prototype algorithms to perform tasks such as organ/lesion detection, segmentation and image classification. These algorithms might be traditional image processing methods or machine learning/deep learning techniques.
- Analyze the results of the developed algorithms by utilizing appropriate metrics and statistical methods.
- Collaborate with an inter-disciplinary team of scientists. Present and discuss research findings with the rest of the team and share ideas about potential improvements of existing methods.
- Learn about the state-of-the-art techniques in artificial intelligence applied to medical imaging, as well as to gain experience in other related areas in health-care and medical imaging.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Must be eligible for a 4-month work term starting May 2021
- Co-op or internship program enrollment is mandatory
Senior undergraduate student (Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Engineering) with some basic experience in research.
- Programing in Python.
- Experience with data science, machine learning and deep learning libraries such as TensorFlow-Keras or PyTorch.
- Understanding of fundamental data analysis techniques and methods to evaluate performance of machine learning/statistical models.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience working with 2-D and 3-D medical images (e.g., X-Rays, CT and MRI), solving tasks such as detection, segmentation and classification.
- Experience working on a research project using real-world data.
- Familiarity with Linux and Docker
About Business Unit
IBM’s Cloud and Cognitive software business is committed to bringing the power of IBM’s Cloud and Watson/AI technologies to life for our clients and ecosystem partners around the world. IBM provides you with the most comprehensive and consistent approach to development, security and operations across hybrid environments—with complete software solutions for business and IT operations, development, data science, security, and management. Our experts and software capabilities help organizations develop applications once and deploy them anywhere, integrate security across the breadth of their IT estate, and automate operations with management visibility. With IBM, you also have access to new skills and methods, governance and management approaches, and a deep ecosystem of industry experts and partners.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by Export Regulations sanctions. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following US sanctioned countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria) on a work permit, you are not eligible for employment in this position.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Job tags: AI Consulting Deep Learning Engineering Keras Linux Machine Learning Python PyTorch Research Security TensorFlow
Job region(s): North America