Senior Data Engineer
New York, NY, United States
Who we are:
We are Dataminr. We are a mission-driven company committed to the power of AI, public data, and real-time information as a force for good in the world. Over the last decade, our team has established and refined the leading AI platform for real-time event and risk detection. We surface the earliest signals of unfolding events and emerging risks within an increasingly diverse and complex landscape of publicly available information, enabling more effective risk mitigation strategies, faster response, and better crisis management. Dataminr serves thousands of professionals in 70+ countries by delivering timely, relevant, and actionable alerts to public and private sector organizations around the world.
We’ve grown to over 500 talented employees across seven global offices and raised $392 million in funding in our most recent investment round. Our culture promotes cross-team interaction, work-life balance and the sharing of information and ideas because it enables us to do our best work together, make a meaningful contribution, and have fun. Join us and help the world manage risk in real time.
Who you are:
You're an experienced Senior Data Engineer interested in working in both streaming and batch processing environments [Kafka streaming, Snowflake, Spark, SCALA, Java], with best-in-class cloud-native technologies. You have significant accomplishments designing, building and maintaining data infrastructure. You have ample experience writing and upgrading ELTs that produce meaningful insights for an innovative, data-intensive product. You are fluent in cloud-native dev ops and data infrastructure as-a-service, and you find meaning in enabling others to work faster by building better tooling. Ideally you excel at integrating data from different sources, using SQL for exploratory analyses and data validation, and are well-versed in the advantages and limitations of various big data architectures and technologies. You are intellectually curious and you understand the importance of communication in engineering. You have a history of mentoring other engineers, you give your time and support generously and you know when to ask for help.
You will be a lead data engineer responsible for architecting and building highly-performant and maintainable data infrastructure. You’ll learn best-in-class technologies and processes, working on greenfield data platform projects. You will work closely with other engineering teams, including AI and Data Science, as you identify, extract, write and maintain shared data pipelines and enhance our tooling for data infrastructure-as-a-service. You’ll be responsible for designing new methods for ensuring the validity and quality of our data, and you’ll help develop systems that accurately monitor and measure the impact of releases to our production systems. In the first month, you’ll
- start off by learning the ropes, spending time with different parts of the company to understand how Dataminr works.
- get up to speed on our data processing pipelines and data structures with overview sessions and deep dives with your team.
- contribute code to production systems.
Within 3 months, you’ll:
- share responsibility for ETLs and APIs and other services with members of your team.
- help to plan new infrastructure features and improvements.
- begin to take more of a role in helping others understand our data platform strategy.
Within 6 months, you’ll:
- own an area of the data platform.
- design and implement pipelines that impact multiple teams across the company.
- be influential in helping plan the next iteration of our data platforms.
- bring new ideas to our engineering and analytics processes to help us continuously improve.
Why you should work here:
We recognize and reward hard work with:
- Competitive compensation package including company equity.
- Paid benefits for employees and their dependents, including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance
- 401 (k) savings plan with company matching.
- Flexible spending account for out-of-pocket medical, transit, parking, and dependent care expenses.
We want you to be your best, authentic self and support you with:
- A diverse, driven, and passionate team of coworkers who want you to succeed.
- Opportunities to own and drive critical projects
- Individual Learning and Development fund and professional training
- Generous leave and flexible hours
- And More!
Dataminr is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Individuals seeking employment at Dataminr are considered without regards to race, sex, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetics, marital status, pregnancy, unemployment status, sexual orientation, citizenship status or veteran status.#LI-BM