Software Engineer, Machine Learning (Autonomy)
Palo Alto, CA
At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
We care deeply about delivering the best transportation experience; this means the best experience for the passenger and the best experience for the driver. We believe this quality of service can only be achieved with a deep understanding of our world, our cities, our streets… how they evolve, how they breathe. We embrace the powerful positive impact autonomous transportation will bring to our everyday lives and with our ambition, we will become a leader in the development and operation of such vehicles. Thanks to our network, with hundreds of millions of rides every year, we have the means to make autonomy a safe reality. As a member of Level 5, you will have the opportunity to develop and deploy tomorrow’s hardware & software solutions and thereby revolutionize transportation.
Level 5 is looking for doers and creative problem solvers to join us in developing the leading self-driving system for ridesharing. Our team members come from diverse backgrounds and areas of expertise, and each has the opportunity to have an outsized influence on the future of our technology. Our world-class software and hardware experts work in brand new garages and labs in Palo Alto, California, and offices in London, England, and Munich, Germany. And we’re moving at an incredible pace: we’re currently servicing employee rides in our test vehicles on the Lyft app. Learn more at lyft.com/level5.
As part of the Motion Planning Team, you will work on developing cutting edge solutions that combine the latest findings in robotics, machine learning, and large-scale data processing and analytics to evaluate and improve the capabilities of our existing systems using data-driven methods. By leveraging the large corpus of existing driving data, we build sophisticated evaluation and motion planning techniques that will help in deploying safe, efficient and intuitive self-driving systems on the road. The ideal candidate will have experience with real-world robotics, large scale systems, have strong data analysis skills, built and deployed machine-learned solutions, and worked in a fast-paced environment along with other highly talented engineers.Responsibilities:
- Develop state-of-the-art methods that leverage machine learning and large scale data to evaluate and improve autonomous vehicle performance
- Create resilient and scalable solutions that enable rapid iteration
- Be a champion of the scientific method and critical thinking in inventing state-of-the-art deep learning solutions but is also a leader in applying rigorous engineering practices during validation and deployment
- Stay up to date with the latest research and trends in the fields and apply new state-of-the-art solutions.
- Collaborate closely with teams such as Perception, Simulation, Infrastructure, Tooling to drive unified solutions
- Work on challenging, unsolved problems and be comfortable with uncertainty
- Work in a small, high-velocity team of engineers
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotic, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Math, or related field
- 4+ years of experience building software and/or ML systems
- Ability to produce production-quality C++ and Python code
- Strong data analysis skills
- Understanding of ML workflow: preparing the data, implementing and training ML models, evaluating results, deploying inference
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and collaborate across teams and disciplines
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with proven ability to uplift others and work effectively with a diverse group of talented engineers
- Hands-on experience with the latest machine learning / deep learning frameworks such as PyTorch, Tensorflow.
- Experience working on self-driving problems (Perception, Prediction, Mapping, Localization, Planning, Simulation)
- (Nice to Have) Hands-on experience with building a planning stack for mobile robots, from high-level route planning on road graphs and behavioral reasoning to trajectory optimization and low-level feedback control
- (Nice to Have) Experience with robot motion planning techniques like trajectory optimization, sampling-based planning, model predictive control, etc
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.