Data Science Intern - Summer 2021
Posted 1 month ago
Who we are and what we do
SurveyMonkey (Nasdaq: SVMK), is a leader in agile software solutions for customer experience, market research, and survey feedback. Our mission is to power the curious and enable organizations, including 98% of the Fortune 500, to transform feedback into action. Our brand is beloved and well known throughout the world—over 6 billion people have taken a SurveyMonkey survey! Today, more than 17 million active users rely on our platform to measure and understand feedback from employees, customers, website and app users, and the market. CAnd our enterprise-grade products and solutions enable 335,000+ organizations globally to solve daily challenges—from delivering better customer experiences to increasing employee retention.
More about our Data Science team
Equipped with rich product data ranging from text to image and video, we build cutting edge ML models to solve real customer issues. In the past, we have filed patents about our novel machine learning algorithms to help customers from survey creation to insight extraction, such as bias questions identification models to provide recommendations on rephrasing these questions, sentiment analysis models to reveal the emotions behind what respondents are thinking, and response quality models to suggest removing bad responses.
We work closely with Machine Learning engineers to ship models in production seamlessly. Therefore you will see the impact of the models quickly. You will report to Peng Jiang.
What we’re looking for
We are looking for a self-motivated summer intern to join our product data science team to develop algorithms for key product initiatives for SurveyMonkey.
- Work closely with stakeholders and product engineering teams to transform a business problem to a machine learning problem
- Develop novel machine learning algorithms on available data
- Evaluate offline and online performance and communicate findings to stakeholders and engineers
- Receive great mentorship from a dedicated experienced data scientist to guarantee your success
- Have opportunities for filing patents and publications for the innovation work you will do
- Currently pursuing a Master or PhD in Machine Learning, Data Mining, AI, Statistics, Math or related discipline.
- Excellent understanding of text analysis technologies such as natural language processing algorithms.
- Comfortable in building models and data manipulation, working with datasets, graphing plots, and deriving conclusions from data.
- Ability to communicate complex analysis in a clear, precise and actionable manner, at a level appropriate for the audience.
- Excellent understanding of statistics and optimization techniques.
- Hands-on experience with medium to large datasets (i.e. data extraction, cleaning, analysis and presentation).
- Experienced in leveraging Python for Data Science / Data Mining
- Publications, patents or prior industry experience preferred.
What we offer our employees
SurveyMonkey is a place where the curious come to grow. By embedding inclusion into our processes, policies, and culture for our 1,000+ employees across North America, Europe, and APAC, we’re building a workplace where people of every background can thrive. We’ve won multiple awards and received recognition for our forward-looking policies, including extended parental and bereavement leave, vendor benefits standards, and Take 4 sabbaticals.
SurveyMonkey was recognized by Great Place to Work® and FORTUNE as a top workplace in 2018 and 2019, and the company has also won numerous awards as a leader in global survey software, including being named among CNBC’s Disruptor 50 and the Forbes Cloud 100.
Our commitment to an inclusive workplace
SurveyMonkey is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities.
Learn more about our diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts here.