Sr. Machine Learning Engineer
Posted 1 month ago
Who we are and what we do
SurveyMonkey (Nasdaq: SVMK), is a leader in agile software solutions for customer experience, market research, and survey feedback. Our mission is to power the curious and enable organizations, including 98% of the Fortune 500, to transform feedback into action. Our brand is beloved and well known throughout the world—over 6 billion people have taken a SurveyMonkey survey! Today, more than 17 million active users rely on our platform to measure and understand feedback from employees, customers, website and app users, and the market. And our enterprise-grade products and solutions enable 335,000+ organizations globally to solve daily challenges—from delivering better customer experiences to increasing employee retention.
More about the Machine Learning Engineering team
The Machine Learning Engineering (MLE) team’s charter is to build out a machine learning platform that accelerates the efficient adoption of machine learning across all SurveyMonkey portfolio products. Our goal is to build applications and tools that enable the scalability of ML along all points of the lifecycle of an AI project, from feature discovery to model training, from model deployment to post-production monitoring and evaluation.
A SurveyMonkey ML Engineer focuses on 3 specific areas of our ML platform:
- Data is the foundation of all ML projects. The MLE team builds tools to resolve all pain points that are specific to working with multi-dimensional datasets in a production environment
- The MLE team supports services that serve ML models. The team focuses on extending and maintaining architecture that supports integration with other SurveyMonkey microservices
- Automated Management
- As the number of models and use cases increase, the MLE team aims to automate workflows like model retraining, model monitoring and evaluation
What we're looking for
We need your help as we continue to evolve our next generation machine learning platform here at SurveyMonkey. We help our customers make great decisions based on the tools we create on top of the millions of survey responses we receive daily. To do that well, we use applied machine learning techniques that include natural language processing, classification, spam detection, personalization / ranking, etc. We do this at significant scale and generally in real-time.
Successful candidates will have extensive application and data engineering experience. The ideal candidate will also have some experience with building production ML platforms in the cloud. Specifically, we need someone that is ready to get their hands dirty with building out a flexible machine learning platform that supports scalable model training in-memory or through distributed computational processing (single vs. multi-node), model deployment, API management, and constructing elegant feedback loops for self-sustaining machine learning systems. Candidates will need to be well-versed in large-scale data storage and processing and have the judgement to know when to use out-of-the-box solutions versus building custom ones. Being fun to work with is definitely a plus!.
- At least 7+ years professional software engineering experience using a high level language (Python preferred).
- Experience utilizing big data and machine learning technologies (e.g. H2O, Spark, Hadoop, Cassandra).
- Very comfortable with Unix/Linux operating systems. We favor Ubuntu.
- Strong communication and documentation skills.
- Experience with operating computational clusters for training machine learning models.
- Familiarity with the ipython notebook, pandas, sklearn, numpy and nltk.
- Experience with ETL pipelines.
- Experience with workflow management platforms like Airflow.
- An interest in data science, and in general, data modeling of lots of structured and unstructured data.
Nice to have
- Familiarity with machine learning techniques and natural language processing (e.g. featurization, n-gram analysis, supervised classification and unsupervised topic clustering, etc)
- Experience with building out cloud infrastructure or using AWS services (e.g. Sagemaker, Infra tools, etc)
What we offer our employees
SurveyMonkey is a place where the curious come to grow. By embedding inclusion into our processes, policies, and culture for our 1,000+ employees across North America, Europe, and APAC, we’re building a workplace where people of every background can thrive. We’ve won multiple awards and received recognition for our forward-looking policies, including extended parental and bereavement leave, vendor benefits standards, and Take 4 sabbaticals.
SurveyMonkey was recognized by Great Place to Work® and FORTUNE as a top workplace in 2018 and 2019, and the company has also won numerous awards as a leader in global survey software, including being named among CNBC’s Disruptor 50 and the Forbes Cloud 100.
Our commitment to an inclusive workplace
SurveyMonkey is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities.
Learn more about our diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts here.