Director, Data Science
New York, New York
Posted 1 month ago
About Daily Harvest
Daily Harvest makes nourishing food built on fruits and vegetables accessible. We do this by delivering thoughtfully sourced, chef-crafted food to customers' doorsteps, all ready to enjoy in minutes. We’re on a mission to take care of food, so food can take care of you.
Our team is collaborative, driven, and future-thinking. We're constantly learning, experimenting, and iterating, and celebrate failure just as much as success. We take risks, try new things, and we get things done. We love adaptogens and cruciferous vegetables but never say no to cake. Everything we do, we do in the service of our community.
Daily Harvest is looking for a Director, Data Science to join our team. The Data team uses our rich data to create high-impact customer experiences, enable smarter business decisions, and drive innovation company-wide. Your team will provide accurate, actionable analysis, build sophisticated data products, and develop machine learning models that strengthen our competitive advantage.
In this role, you’ll work with a modern data stack including GCP/Bigquery, Fivetran, dbt, Airflow and Segment. You’ll find and explain insights to the rest of the company, identify opportunities for data science to add value, and help plan, build, and release machine learning-driven products into production.
What you’ll do:
- Partner with our technology leaders and stakeholders across the business to investigate, prioritize, and deliver impactful data products, machine learning models, and analyses
- Manage and hire a team of high-performing Data Scientists and Machine Learning Engineers
- Foster a productive, focused, and innovative environment and provide rigorous technical oversight
- Work directly with our culinary innovation team to build models and data visualization tools that leverage our rich dataset (customer preferences, order behavior, and engagement data) to inform our culinary roadmap
- Collaborate with our marketing leaders to refine our attribution, media mix, and LTV models, enabling high-quality decision-making within our marketing organization
- Communicate effectively across the organization, with the ability to translate the highly-technical to non-technical stakeholders and partner within DH to turn business and product vision into actionable initiatives
- Build a deep understanding of our business across Marketing, Digital Product, Engineering, Finance, Operations, and Culinary Innovation teams in order to identify opportunities for high-impact data products
- Ship data products to production by working closely with our software engineering team
- Align your team to our company objectives and key results and define ways to measure impact
Who you are:
- 7+ years of experience, with 2+ years of direct management experience.
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent practical experience) in Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, or Mathematics, or related quantitative discipline - Masters or PhD a plus
- Strong Python and SQL background
- This role will require a firm grasp of software engineering, data engineering best practices, and analytics/statistics.
- You’ll also need to be well-versed in customer data platforms and experimentation platforms
- Experience building scalable machine learning models and shipping them to production
- Experience digging deep into data, creating expressive easy-to-understand visualizations
- Track record of delivering accurate, actionable data products which inform strategy and enable high-quality decision making
- Excellent communication skills, experience communicating with and explaining technical concepts to C-level stakeholders
- Ability to thrive and create structure in a fast-moving and constantly evolving high-growth environment
- Unlimited Daily Harvest in the office to keep you hustling, not hangry + cold brew (...always stocked)
- Flexible time-off policy + flexible working hours (Unlimited PTO Plan)
- Competitive medical, dental, and vision benefits, 401K + equity participation
- Ancillary benefits: Commuter, Gym membership + Citi Bike discounts
- Access to everything we make (including recipes in development)
- Annual company retreat
- Quarterly team outings, weekly onsite happy hours, + regular DH team gatherings to celebrate our co-workers
- Book club + running club
- Showers for post-morning or mid-workday workouts
- A dynamic, ambitious, and fun work environment + dog friendly!!
At Daily Harvest, our mission is to take care of food, so that food can take care of you. And it wouldn't be possible without our team. We celebrate the unique POV that each person brings to the table and believe in a collaborative and inclusive environment. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, military or veteran status, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. These are our guiding principles and apply across all aspects of employment.