Senior Data Analyst
Chicago, Illinois, United States
About Beyond Finance
Beyond Finance is an exciting next generation FinTech company headquartered in Houston with additional offices in San Diego and Chicago. We provide financial products that are easy to use and accessible that aim to improve people’s lives. As the consumer debt market continues to grow in the United States, we have made it our objective to create a transparent and fair debt management service that is customized to the consumer’s individual situation.
Our leadership team has extensive experience and expertise in the financial services and debt management marketplace. We are reinventing the market by investing in innovative technologies to best serve our customers. Our workforce is a community made up of celebrated, diverse backgrounds working towards the common objective of developing something transformational for the debt settlement industry.
Hiring During the Pandemic
Beyond Finance is committed to employee health and safety. We’ve built and implemented a plan to conduct remote interviewing and onboarding. Although we’d like to get back to the office one day, we’re committed to doing so in a safe, responsible manner to ensure minimum risk for our employees and their families.
About the Role
As a Senior Data Analyst you will work closely with end business users to determine data needs of the business area and discuss the meaning of the data coming from the source system. You’ll also come up with your own recommendations and ideas of what can be done with the data beyond the initial requirements.
You must be willing to take a deep dive in the data and understand the meaning, understand idiosyncrasies and communicate at both a technical and business level. You’ll create data structures which are useful for multiple internal stakeholders solving immediate needs and anticipating long term questions. You’ll ensure the definitions are documented and serve as a coach to others who use the data.
What you’ll do
- Build visualizations which will help business users understand behaviors of our customer base and business by easily gaining the insights by either building a particular dashboard or provide training to utilize the BI framework.
- Develop a deep understanding of existing data in at least one system, including how the data is produced and used by the application. This will involve examining the data by writing SQL and examining the data for anomalies and patterns, and confirming popular opinion
- Build the BI layer of abstraction in Looker, providing the meaning created for BI reporting along with a Looker data dictionary; ensure BI access is considered when providing access to data and reporting
- Knowledge of dimensional modeling techniques and the ability to come up with a model which will help business users easily understand the data instead of expecting business users to understand how the operational system works.
- Document and map the existing data structures from the operational system to the new curated data structures and author the ETL (Exact, Transform, Load) scripts.
- Work with various business groups to understand their short and long-term business needs and create a plan to deliver the data using the existing system or requesting new data be produced
- Drive the governance process of ensuring all stakeholders are congruent on the meaning of the data and it’s well documented
What We Look For
- Demonstrate proficiency in developing BI intelligence using a modern BI tool such as Looker, Tableau or Power BI, with an emphasis of Looker.
- Understand relational databases, tables, columns, and data types and how to join up between tables
- Be fluent in writing complicated SQL
- Solid understanding of dimensional modeling and understanding of when to use the technique and why it’s helpful.
- Ability to communicate to a wide range of business users by adapting to their vocabulary.
- Facilitate meetings with stakeholders with the ability to drive consensus
- 5+ years experience as data analyst designing and deploying data systems in startup environment
- Fluency in different SQL techniques for data transformation and data analysis
Why join us?
We are looking for great people to join a fast-paced, growing, and innovative business. We offer:
- Using the latest cutting edge technologies and the ability to contribute in a variety of different ways
- Flexible personal time-off
- Considerable employer contributions for health, dental and vision programs
- 401(K) match
- Merit advancement opportunities
- Career development & training
More importantly, our team spirit and culture are what really sets us apart as a company. We’re a world-class Financial Technology company that loves what we do…and we have fun doing it!
*Beyond Finance is an equal opportunity Employer*