Sr. Machine Learning Engineer
New York, New York, USA
Does serving ads to billions of search requests daily and finding the most relevant ads for a search page from billions of ads in 10s of milliseconds excite you?
The Sponsored Products Search Relevance team owns identifying the relevant ads to surface to customers when they search for products on Amazon. We strive to understand our customers’ intent and identify relevant ads which enable them to discover new and alternate products. This also enables sellers on Amazon to showcase their products to customers, which may at times be buried deeper in the search results.
Our systems and algorithms operate on one of the world's largest product catalogs, matching shoppers with products - with a high relevance bar and strict latency constraints. We are a team of machine learning scientists and software engineers working on complex solutions to understand the customer intent and present them with ads that are not only relevant to their actual shopping experience, but also non-obtrusive. This area is of strategic importance to Amazon Retail and Marketplace business, driving long term-growth.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer (ML), who can drive appropriate technology choices for the business, lead the way for continuous innovation, and shape the future of ad serving on Amazon search. You will build services to handle billions of requests per day, while maintaining response latencies in milliseconds and meeting strict SLA requirements. It is quite routine for our systems to operate on massive datasets using distributed frameworks. You will design and code, troubleshoot, and support high volume and low latency distributed systems. The solutions you create would drive step increases in coverage of sponsored ads across the retail website and ensure relevant ads are served to Amazon's customers. You will directly impact our customers’ shopping experience while helping our sellers get the maximum ROI from advertising on Amazon. This role will provide exposure to cutting-edge innovations in product search, information retrieval, natural language processing (NLP), deep learning, and image processing. In addition to being a strongly motivated IC, you will also be responsible for mentoring junior engineers and guiding them to deliver high impacting products and services for Amazon customers and sellers. This position is open for both Seattle and virtual/remote based candidates.
· 4+ years of professional software development experience
· 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
· Bachelor or Master's Degree in Computer Science or related field
· 4+ years professional experience in software development with experience in working on low latency, high volume distributed systems.
· 4+ Experience with computer science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
· Experience with, at least, one modern programming language such as Java, C++, C#, etc.
Preferred Qualifications· Experience in building large-scale machine-learning infrastructure for online recommendation, ads ranking, personalization, or search, etc.
· Experience with Big Data technologies such as AWS, Hadoop, Spark, Pig, Hive, Lucene/SOLR or Storm/Samza
· Strong proficiency with Java, Python, Scala or C++
· Advanced knowledge of performance, scalability, enterprise system architecture, and engineering best practices
· Understanding of online computational advertising
· Coursework or thesis in machine learning, data mining, information retrieval, or natural language processing
· Strong written and verbal communication
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Job tags: AWS Big Data Data Mining Deep Learning Distributed Systems Engineering Hadoop Java Machine Learning ML NLP Python Scala Spark