Senior Machine Learning Engineer
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The past few years have witnessed the acceleration and convergence of two exciting trends in remote sensing and artificial intelligence: the explosion in satellite sensing constellations, government and commercial, has been matched by incredible advances in deep learning (DL), accelerated computing and open source software. New catalogues of daily temporal data will soon dominate the global archives. This data and related “frontier technologies” can shed light on the sustainable development challenges we face, bring revolutionary levels of transparency, and drive a culture of data-driven decision making and accountability. We are focused on researching, developing, and applying core technology in artificial intelligence that will change how our industry measures global activity. For example, we can build systems that detect deforestation within a few days from occurring, anywhere in the world, or extract the most up-to-date maps of roads and buildings for the entire continent of Africa. Our customers come from a range of sectors, including commercial, environmental, and humanitarian. We cooperate with leading R&D institutions worldwide in bringing new ideas to the market. If you are a team player, focused on research and development, and are excited about deep learning, computer vision or spatio-temporal analytics, then this job could be a great fit for you.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Contribute to development of new machine learning architectures, models and analytics products using geospatial data
- Contribute to the design and development of pipelines to train, evaluate and deploy machine learning models at scale
- Contribute to the integration of partner’s models and algorithms into Planet’s analytics products
- Collaborate closely with peers on other engineering teams or with outside R&D partners, including universities
What You Bring:
- Strong background in Machine Learning/Deep Learning with specific experience in the area of Earth Observations and/or Computer Vision
- Experience with Deep Learning frameworks such as Tensorflow
- Experience with GIS based software development and analysis tools.
- Good foundations of software architecture, object-oriented design, APIs and testing patterns
- Experience implementing machine learning models and deploying them in scalable environments
- MS in Computer Science, related technical field or equivalent practical experience
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Few years of experience building production software and API services
- Experience leading and managing small teams and projects
- PhD degree in topics related to Machine Learning/Deep Learning or Computer Vision/Earth Observations
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Flexible working hours / home office
- Fruit, snacks, drinks, weekly company lunch
- Office building in a central location close to Zoologischer Garten
- Onsite massages, Urban Sports Club membership, health program
- Birthday and anniversary gifts
- Volunteering benefits
- Stock options
- Corporate benefits
- Recognition and referral program
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Great Team Events
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.