Software Development Engineer III - Data Engineering (Forecasting)
Tesco TechnologyWelcome to Tesco UK Careers where we showcase all the available jobs across the business that we are recruiting for. Explore our opportunities to get on.
As one of the world’s largest retailers and the largest private employer in the United Kingdom, Tesco serves millions of customers a week in our stores and online.
In Europe we operate in Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic, and Slovakia, offering great value to our customers every day. Our Operations in Hungary have been serving shoppers since 1995.
To standardize processes, reduce the cost to serve, enable agility in the business and empower colleagues to do even more for our customers, we have set up a dedicated team called Tesco Business Services across our markets. In 2004 we established our first center in Bengaluru, India.
Based in our Krakow office this multi-functional and specialist team will drive operational excellence of services, improve scale for our systems and processes globally and create business leading capabilities.
About the Tesco Technology - Forecasting team
In Demand forecasting, we build products that powers the engine of the Supply Chain that makes sure customers get what products they need when they walk into a Tesco Store or shop through other channels. We influence product availability through advanced forecasting and right ordering. It's challenging since it needs to be done whilst keeping waste reduction and optimal stock holding. This helps keep our operational costs in control and helps the bottom line. The more we save, the more we can pass on to our customers w.r.t the right price. It’s fun since we are building better capabilities on newer platforms.
This involves a lot of learning since we are transforming our forecasting intelligence to algorithms on big data platforms. We crunch a large volume of history, react to recent trends, promotional events, turn demands into the right kind of orders for supplier and store. The nature of our products lends themselves to real time data inputs, machine learning and applied statistics, safely allowing us to say it’s a fantastic problem space to work in and help solve. We take responsibility for the software through its entire lifecycle. We practice continuous integration and delivery and support our code through to production and beyond.
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role’s key responsibilities and measures:
- Consistently deliver against the product and engineering backlogs.
- Support your and your team’s code all the way to production. Lead and evangelize the use of Monitoring & Alerting tooling ( Splunk ) in order to “do production right”.
- Adhere to the processes, designs and systems your teams have agreed to.
- Contribute to the definition of features for services owned by your team.
- Continuously improve yourself and your team by suggesting and helping implement new Engineering processes and practices.
- Customer focus. You find the right balance between outcome delivery and technical excellence.
- Be a technical authority on one or more technical areas of your team, someone the rest of the team turn to for engineering advice or guidance.
- Lead on team architecture and design discussions. Manage technical discussions with stakeholders beyond your team
- Lead in the setting of coding standards, testing standards and operational best practices
- Mentor less experienced developers
- Effectively communicate your and your team’s progress to your team members, your Manager and wider Tesco colleagues.
- Bigdata Hadoop as your main area of expertise
- Spark, Spark SQL
- PySpark or Scala
- Hive (HiveLLAP)
- Hbase, Phoenix, and other SQL and NoSQL (Druid, Kylin would be added advantage)
- Hands-on with data ingestion and transformation (Sqoop/Nifi/Flume/Kafka, consuming APIs
- Understanding of how to efficiently structure data on HDFS (columnar stores, compression, partitions)
- Good experience with productionizing algorithms
- Design/Develop Batch and Streaming Framework when to use which
- Ability To give design for Streaming Applications
- Ability to turn a business problem into an algorithmic formulation (incl. break down into multiple parts if necessary)
- Understanding Of ML Techniques
- Enabling build of data platform capabilities – BackTesting, disaster recovery, Querying engine for analysts, etc.
- 6+ years of commercial software development experience and 4+ years in big data platform
- Problem solving, analysis and computational skills. You are comfortable designing systems and reasoning about them. When tackling problems, you take a thorough and logical approach to solving them and you retain ownership through to resolution.
- Designing and developing systems for high availability and scalability
- Experience working with data, algorithms and setting up solid data platform capabilities
- Depth of professional software engineering experience and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Experience of running and supporting software in production
What’s in it for you
Tesco is a diverse and exciting employer, dedicated to being #aplacetogeton, providing career defining opportunities to all of our colleagues. If you chose to join our business, we will provide you with:
- A learning culture and excellent opportunities to develop your career within your chosen field or something altogether new
- Varied and exciting projects to play a part in – there is always something new and exciting in the pipeline
- Competitive Salary and benefits package
If that sounds exciting, then we'd love to hear from you.
* Salary range is an estimate based on our salary survey 💰
More jobs like this
Sydney, New South Wales, … Sydney, New South Wales, Australia Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 44K - 83K * USD 44K+ *
Backend Engineer - Machine Learning ML Platform - Open to remote across ANZAWS Computer Science CUDA Distributed Systems ECS Engineering GPU +8
Career development Fitness / gym Flex hours Parental leave Pet friendly +6
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open BI Developer jobs
- Open Junior Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Science Intern jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist jobs
- Open Director, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Product Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Power BI Developer jobs
- Open Junior Data Scientist jobs
- Open Associate Data Analyst- Customer Experience Group | Bangkok-based jobs
- Open Data Analyst (Remote) jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Data Analyst (Statistics/Python/BI) (Bangkok-based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Data Manager jobs
- Open Sr. Data Analyst jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Data Engineer Intern jobs
- Open Autonomous Vehicle System Test Specialist jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open ML models-related jobs
- Open Finance-related jobs
- Open Data quality-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Deep Learning-related jobs
- Open PhD-related jobs
- Open Scala-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Data visualization-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Data warehouse-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs