Staff Applied Research Scientist, Tracking
San Francisco, CA
Cruise LLCCruise is the leading autonomous vehicle company driven to improve life in our cities by safely connecting people with places, things & experiences they love
We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.What you'll be doing:
As a Staff Applied Research Scientist - Tracking, you drive the research projects that address the everyday challenges that happen on urban roads, ones that do not have standard solutions available. The Tracking team is responsible for outputting a list of all the people, bikes, and vehicles near the Cruise car, as well as a description of each agent. On a day-to-day basis, you will:
- Formulate problems
- Propose, prototype, evaluate, and iterate solutions
- Productize and deploy solutions to robot cars
- Initiate and lead new projects
- Be considered one of the technical leaders of the department who guides current and future technology choices
- Have a deep understanding of the business and operational impact for different technology tradeoffs, and able to balance effectively based on company’s needs
- Enable others engineers on the team to be more effective through design and code that is easy to extend and contribute into
- Capable of influencing others and building consensus even over contentious technical debates
- PhD / MS degree in computer vision, machine learning or a related field with multiple research publications in top conferences or journals; alternatively equivalent years of industry experience solving ML problems which do not have readily-available solutions
- Track record of driving deep learning research projects from start to completion, including conception, problem definition, experimentation, iteration, and finally publication or productization
- Track record of cross organization impact
- Strong programming skills in Python and/or C++
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- PhD in machine learning, computer vision, or robotics
- Experience using deep-learning frameworks, e.g., TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc
- Experience in deploying perception algorithms and models into real-world environments
- Experience with object tracking, especially multi-senor and/or multi-object tracking
The salary range for this position is $193,900 - 285,000. Compensation will vary depending on location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. You may also be offered a bonus, restricted stock units, and benefits. These ranges are subject to change.Why Cruise?
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and life insurance
- Subsidized mental health benefits
- One Medical membership
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- 401(k) match
- Paid time off: vacation, sick, public health emergency, jury duty, bereavement and company holidays.
- Paid parental, family care and medical leave
- Family care benefits: fertility benefits, Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (subsidized by Cruise).
- Non-remote employees: Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan, healthy meals and snacks
- CruiseFlex - a working policy for US-Based Cruisers that lets you and your manager find what working style is best for you, whether it’s primarily in-person, primarily at home or a combination of home and in-office time.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, T. Rowe Price & Walmart have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
- Recurring Liquidity Opportunity (RLO) - a unique equity program where employees, both current and former, have the option to sell any amount of their vested equity on a recurring basis, currently quarterly.
- We’re Safety Conscious
- We integrate #staysafe, our top priority at Cruise, into our everyday work. Through our Safety Management System, every Cruiser is asked to do their part by reporting any potential issues or hazards they observe and making continuous improvements. You’ll be able to contribute to safety at Cruise, no matter your job function or title.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
At Cruise, we’re tasked with leading in the communities we serve — and doing our part to help keep our communities and our teams safe. Our #StaySafe culture transcends and informs all we do, and because of this, as of October 31, 2021 Cruise will be mandating COVID-19 vaccinations for all US-based Cruisers who need or want to access any of our US Cruise facilities and engage in any business travel — including attending any in-person Company-sponsored event.
If you are unable to get a vaccine due to a medical condition, disability, or a strongly-held religious belief, Cruise will consider requests for an accommodation.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.
Perks/benefits: 401(k) matching Career development Conferences Equity Fertility benefits Flex hours Flexible spending account Flex vacation Health care Home office stipend Insurance Medical leave Parental leave Salary bonus Snacks / Drinks Wellness
More jobs like this
Seattle, USA Seattle, USA Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 192K - 356K USD 192K+
Sr. Staff Engineer, Data, Integration & Orchestration Systems (FTS, Fulfillment and Transportation System)Agile AWS Data analysis E-commerce Engineering Testing
401(k) matching Career development Equity Flex hours Flexible spending account +8
Denver, CO, United States Denver, CO, United States Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 115K - 200K USD 115K+
Lead Data Architect (AWS, Azure, GCP)Airflow AWS Azure Consulting Databricks Dataflow Data governance +15
401(k) matching Career development Fertility benefits Health care Insurance +1
Remote - USA Remote - USA Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 115K - 180K * USD 115K+ *
Lead Data Engineer (Remote Positions Available)Agile AWS Business Intelligence Data analysis Data management Data pipelines Data warehouse +17
401(k) matching Career development Gear Health care Home office stipend +4
Mountain View, USA Mountain View, USA Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 192K - 356K USD 192K+
Senior Staff Engineer – Global Operation Data Science (GODS)Agile AWS Computer Science Distributed Systems E-commerce Engineering Git +5
401(k) matching Career development Equity Flexible spending account Flex vacation +6
Columbus, OH, United States Columbus, OH, United States Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 115K - 180K * USD 115K+ *
Lead Data Engineer (AWS, Azure, GCP)AWS Azure Big Data BigQuery CI/CD Databricks Data pipelines +25
Career development Fertility benefits Health care Insurance Wellness
Remote, Irvine, CA (HQ) Remote, Irvine, CA (HQ) Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 142K - 250K USD 142K+
Manager, Data Analytics (Remote)Business Intelligence Data Analytics Engineering Mathematics OKR Predictive modeling Snowflake +2
Career development Equity Fertility benefits Flex vacation Health care +5
Chicago, IL, United States Chicago, IL, United States Full TimeSenior Senior-levelUSD 82K - 149K USD 82K+
Adtalem Global Education
Senior Data ScientistConsulting D3 Data Mining Data visualization Econometrics Machine Learning ML models +7
401(k) matching Career development Flex hours Flex vacation Health care +1
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open BI Developer jobs
- Open Junior Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Science Intern jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist jobs
- Open Director, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Product Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Power BI Developer jobs
- Open Junior Data Scientist jobs
- Open Associate Data Analyst- Customer Experience Group | Bangkok-based jobs
- Open Data Analyst (Remote) jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Data Analyst (Statistics/Python/BI) (Bangkok-based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Data Manager jobs
- Open Sr. Data Analyst jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Data Engineer Intern jobs
- Open Autonomous Vehicle System Test Specialist jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open ML models-related jobs
- Open Finance-related jobs
- Open Data quality-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Deep Learning-related jobs
- Open PhD-related jobs
- Open Scala-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Data visualization-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Data warehouse-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs