Risk & Control Data Analyst
We're looking for a Risk Data Analyst who is excited to help build the bank of the future.
At Monzo, we’re growing extremely fast and have over four and half million customers in the UK, with over 100,000 new people joining every month. You'll have the opportunity to help us take hold of our risk and control reporting and analysis in 2021, as we continue to build the bank safely, and in a controlled way.
This role will be supporting the Risk & Control discipline, and will focus on building our governance model consistently across all Collectives, and identifying themes/trends that help us manage day-to-day risks, but also contribute towards our forward looking risk strategy. You’ll be responsible for working with our Governance & Reporting Lead in identifying key data metrics, setting appropriate thresholds and providing key stakeholders across the business with self-service dashboards for real time risk management.
We have a strong culture of data-driven decision making across the whole company. And we're great believers in powerful, real-time analytics and empowerment of the wider business. All our data lives in one place and is super easy to use. 90% of day-to-day data-driven decisions are covered by self-serve analytics through Looker which gives data scientists the head space to focus on more impactful business questions and analyses.
We work in cross-functional squads where every data analyst is a member of a central Data Discipline but will be fully embedded into one area (for this role, it will be embedded within the Risk & Control Discipline, who support risk across all Collectives at Monzo).
As part of your role, you'll:
- Apply your expertise in quantitative analysis, data mining, and the presentation of data to see beyond the numbers and understand how key metrics and how those insights can inform our risk management & forward looking strategy
- Translate regulatory reporting requirements into highly accurate data models and set the strategy for how we ensure the best possible data accuracy
- Build robust data models, reports and visualisations downstream of backend services (mostly in BigQuery SQL) that support internal management information as well as governance and regulatory reporting
- Collect, analyse, and disseminate information and analysis on Incidents, Issues, Actions, Risk Assessments, Control Automation etcDevelop, maintain, and modify data collection strategy and processes to ensure reports are accurate, timely and relevant.
- Identify information and data gaps, create techniques and collation processes to close such gaps.
- Support the business with analytical deep dives to identify root causes of incidents, breaches and issues.
What’s special about data at Monzo?
Autonomy. We believe that people reach their full potential when you can remove all the operational obstacles out of their way and let them run with their ideas. This comes together with a strong sense of ownership for your projects. At Monzo, you will get full access to our data and analytics infrastructure. When you discover something interesting, there is nothing stopping you from exploring and implementing your coolest ideas.
Cutting-edge managed infrastructure. All our data infrastructure lives on the Google Cloud Platform, so you don't need to spend your time configuring or managing clusters, databases, etc. If you want to train a Machine Learning model faster, just spin up a compute engine instances and submit a job from your local machine, no DevOps skills required.
Automation. We aim to automate as much as we can, so that every person in the team can focus on the things that humans do best. As with all data science work, there’s some analysis and reporting, and as much as possible we encourage self-serve access to our data through Looker.
You should apply if:
- What we’re doing here at Monzo excites you!
- You're impact driven and eager to have a real positive impact on the company, product, users and very importantly your colleagues as well
- You're passionate about risk and using that data to improve & inform business decisions
- You’re as comfortable getting hands-on as taking a step back and thinking strategically
- You have a self-starter mindset; you proactively identify issues and opportunities and tackle them without being told to do so
- You're a team player whom your colleagues can rely on
- You have solid grounding in SQL and preferably Python
- You have experience in conducting large scale A/B experiments
Nice to haves:
- You have multiple years of experience in risk analytics, preferably in a fast moving tech company
- Experience with complex statistical approaches (causal inference, machine learning, bayesian statistics)
This role can be based in our London office or remotely within the UK
The closing date for applications for this role is 20th November 2020.
We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
Diversity and inclusion is a priority for us – if we want to solve problems for people around the world, our team has to represent our customers. So we need to attract the best talent and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on our blog.
If you prefer to work part-time, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
The application process consists of a 30mins phone call with a recruiter, an initial call with someone from the team, followed by a practical written exercise and 2-3 on-site interviews at our office in London or remotely via hangouts. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.