Staff Data Engineer, Security
Denver, CO, USA
Our Security team supports the unwritten fourth tenet of Slack’s mission: make people’s working lives more secure. We’re serious about protecting our infrastructure, operations, and most importantly, our customers’ data. We take a systemic approach to security, and strive to ensure we provide low friction high-impact security across everything we do.
As a member of the Slack Security Customer Protection team, you are the first line of detection of bad actors using Slack in unwanted and unexpected ways. As Slack’s data, number of customers, and features grow, protecting customers’ data from unwanted behaviors becomes an ever more important and complicated problem. This team develops tooling to tease out high-quality signals from all the noise and collaborates with analysts to detect unwanted behaviors, such as fraud and abuse, among others. Your work directly impacts the way millions of people, teams and businesses get things done.
Slack's API and web backend is built using PHP/Hack, and our backend services are written in Java and Go. We use Airflow, Presto, Hive and Spark to interact with our data infrastructure.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we seek to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- You’ll own technical strategy to drive insightful and forward-looking approaches that go beyond the direct team and tackle larger open-ended problems.
- You’ll participate in the strategic development of methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for projects and programs
- Build and scale data systems that power batch and real-time data processing of hundreds of billions of records daily
- Partner with Data and Backend Engineering teams as well as Core platform and Features teams to understand and contribute to product and feature development that may impact our security model
- Partner with the Customer Experience team to capture requirements for new developments and understand their impact to customers
- Provide implementations to expose actionable data to internal and external partners.
What you should have
- 7+ years of experience working with data technologies that power analytics (e.g. Airflow, Hive, Spark, Presto, Kafka, Pinot, MySQL or similar technologies).
- You have a deep understanding of data processing (relational, key/value, document, columnar, graph).
- Experience working in a security or fraud & abuse functions. Have basic understanding of and interest in learning more about security engineering
- You are skilled at crafting and building robust backend data services (distributed systems, concurrency models, microservices) that distill actionable insights out of large amounts of input data.
- You possess expertise in high-level programming languages (e.g. Go, Java/Scala, Python).
- You are dedicated to code quality, automation and operational excellence: unit/integration/data quality tests, scripts, workflows.
- You can lead technical architecture discussions and help drive technical decisions within your team.
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations. Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.