Economist - Machine Learning Engineer, Senior
San Francisco, CA
We're looking for experienced economists and machine learning engineers to join our fast-moving team. The Economics team at Instacart works on a range of interesting and challenging problems, from aligning the incentives in our multi-sided marketplace to analyzing the role of prices and product placement in our customers' decision-making.
For our team, we are looking for economics or machine learning engineers with experience in bringing machine learning models to life. The ideal candidate for this position has a background in both economics and machine learning and past experience in creating end-to-end machine learning solutions. There is tremendous opportunity in front of us, and joining now gives you a chance to grow your career and interests as we succeed.
ABOUT THE JOB
- You will build end-to-end machine learning solutions to bring models from conception to production.
- You will be dedicated to a small cross-discipline product team, with tremendous ownership and responsibility for managing things directly.
- You will be an active member of an internal community, including economists, data scientists, operations research scientists and machine learning engineers, sharing learnings, best practices and research across many domains.
- You will develop high impact solutions to support Instacart's ambitious growth plans.
- You will work closely with engineers, product managers, other teams, and both internal and external stakeholders, owning a large part of the process from problem understanding to recommending a solution and testing it in controlled experiments.
- You will have the freedom to suggest and drive organization-wide initiatives.
- 3+ years of academic or industry experience in an economics role, preferable working on data-intense problems
- A graduate degree in economics or equivalent experience
- A blend of economic theory, applied econometrics, and business skills that let you jump into a fast-paced environment and contribute from day one
- Strong engineering skills with expertise in Python and fluency in data manipulation (SQL, Spark, Pandas) and machine learning (scikit-learn, XGBoost, Keras/Tensorflow) tools
- Experience with training large-scale models and model deployment on cloud services (Docker, AWS/GCP/Azure).
- An ability to identify and prioritize high-impact problems and deliver solutions that provide reasonable trade-offs between urgency and quality.
- Willing and able to travel internationally based on job requirements
- Expertise in causal inference with observational and experimental data
- Self-motivation and a strong sense of ownership
- B.Sc. (required), M.S./PhD (preferred) in Computer Science, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics or related field