Site Reliability Engineer (Machine Learning Platform)
Wikimedia FoundationImagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge
The Wikimedia Foundation is hiring a Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) to help build and support the foundation’s machine learning infrastructure.
As an SRE on the Machine Learning Platform team (formerly the Scoring Platform Team), you would build an infrastructure for scaled, reliable model training, management, and deployment. This includes ORES and a new Kubernetes based system under development. The Machine Learning Platform team is responsible for all aspects of machine learning at the foundation, from maintaining deployed models to helping other teams and the community deploy models easily and ethically.
You are responsible for:
- Maintaining ORES, our current model deployment system
- Working with the team to build a new Kubernetes based model training, management, and deployment system
- Working with stakeholders (both inside and outside the foundation) to help them deploy models
- Establishing what machine learning looks like at Wikimedia, both technically, culturally, and ethically
Skills and Experience:
- Solid experience as a Site Reliability Engineer, experience working on bare metal is a plus. The foundation rarely uses SaaS cloud hosting, instead using our own servers racked in data centers.
- Experience with Configuration Management Systems (Puppet, Ansible, …)
- Experience with Kubernetes and Kubeflow
- Experience with machine learning operations
- Strong English language skills and ability to work independently, as an effective part of a globally distributed team.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.