Data Scientist, Operations Analytics
New York, NY (Rent the Runway HQ)
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. Rent the Runway has pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 700 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times.
About the Team:
Data is core to our growing business and has been ingrained in the company's DNA since its founding. The Operations Analytics team arms our warehouse, transportation, and customer service managers with data to measure performance and insights to drive continuous improvements. We work on unique problems at the intersection of fashion, technology, and logistics, where solutions often require novel approaches that push the boundaries of data science. This is where you come in!
About the Job:
We are looking for a Data Scientist on the Operations Analytics team to derive meaning and big opportunities from the billions of records of data describing our operation. You will be analyzing reams of inventory movement, warehouse labor, and customer interaction data to drive tactical/strategic decisions, as well as influence the overall product vision.
What You’ll Do:
- Apply expertise in operations research, statistical modeling, simulation, and quantitative analysis to reduce operational costs, optimize the transportation network and improve inventory uptime.
- Pair robust inventory attribute and operational data to optimize the efficacy and efficiency of garment care, including cleaning, repairs and quality assurance.
- Use simulation and optimization techniques to inform the deployment of different transit carriers and shipping methods across different customer scenarios
- Define and monitor KPIs to evaluate our supply chain network and operational process; identify opportunities to test into new processes that meaningfully improve metrics
- Work in cross-functional teams of operators, product managers, and engineers focused on delivering a best-in-class customer experience
- Grow to become a key influencer of operations strategies. Tell us what other questions should we be asking!
- A strong quantitative and/or technical academic background in Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, Operations Research or another quantitative field. A master is required, and a Ph.D. is a plus!
- 5+ years of experience using operations research and quantitative analysis to solve challenging, real-world problems in supply chain, warehouse operations, call center operations, or other related topics in eCommerce
- Knowledgeable in one or more of the following areas: mathematical programming, simulation, or statistical modeling.
- Hands-on experience implementing solutions in Python and/or R.
- Able to execute across the entire life cycle of an advanced analytics project: data collection and wrangling, abstraction of business problems to tractable mathematical models, delivery of recommendations, implementation of business changes, and performance measurement.
- Proficient in SQL; you can confidently perform your own data munging and build your own data pipelines when necessary
- A passion for data and its ability to inform (and transform!) business strategy
- An owner’s mindset, a bias to action and the ability to work with minimal supervision in a rapidly changing environment, under tight project timelines
- Excellent communication skills; you can effectively suit your communication style for your audience.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.