Data Scientist, Analytics - B2B
About CalmWe have a simple mission at Calm: To make the world a happier and healthier place. The heart of Calm is digital but the brand is expanding offline into a variety of products and services that bring more peace, clarity and perspective into people’s busy lives. We are building Calm into the Nike of the Mind. We believe Calm can become one of the most valuable and meaningful brands in the world. Over 75 Million people have downloaded the app and we are growing by 100,000 new downloads a day. The company is profitable and headquartered in San Francisco, CA. Calm was co-founded by Alex Tew (Million Dollar Homepage) and Michael Acton Smith (Mind Candy, Moshi Monsters, Firebox).
The data science & analytics team at Calm is hiring the first data scientist to work with the new B2B team at Calm. We expect that B2B sales will be a major, if not primary, source of revenue for Calm in the near future. At this point, however, the B2B team is functioning like a startup inside of Calm. Thus, you should enjoy “wearing multiple hats” and be comfortable operating in an environment with plenty of ambiguity, rapid change and quick growth. You will need enough experience and leadership qualities to influence the B2B team - to help them understand the full potential of data science, instead of simply reacting to data requests. You should be able to grow the B2B team’s data culture and develop processes and standardization around data as needed. Your projects in this role will be focused on helping the team prioritize their efforts, make smarter decisions and iterate more quickly. You will help the team become more self-serve and will automate and scale up data products so that we can quickly grow the B2B team without needing to linearly grow the data science team.
- Ingest, clean, synthesize and automate data streams to make data more usable and self-serve for the B2B team
- Support B2B reporting needs, both internally and for partners
- Scale up our external reporting offering, by arriving at a best in-class reporting “menu,” so that ad-hoc reporting requests are minimized
- Do analysis and/or build a lead scoring model so that account executives optimize their time
- Help the B2B team understand what types of businesses are bringing the most engaged users
- Identify businesses at risk of churning
- Work with the product team to improve how we onboard, activate and engage B2B users.
- Have a hypothesis-driven approach to breaking down and understanding critical questions and problems
- You have a strong enough knowledge of probability and statistics that you can differentiate signal from noise and produce analytically sound recommendations
- Ability to write complex SQL queries
- Experience with data visualization tools like Tableau or Mode
- Experience with python (preferable) and/or R, along with use of jupyter notebooks
- Proactive and highly motivated
- Balance the need to move quickly with diligence and attention to detail
- Excellent communicator.
- Ability to work independently. You can develop partnerships, identify areas of opportunity on your own, and complete projects with minimal guidance
- Bonus points if you have working knowledge of inferential statistics, machine learning, and/or experimental design
- At least three to five years of industry experience in data analytics
- Competitive salary and equity
- Unlimited PTO
- We pay your medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums
- Commuter benefits
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Opportunity to work with a product focused on making the world happier and healthier
- And much more!