Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world. Artsy has created the world’s largest two-sided art marketplace, with more than 1,000,000 works by 100,000 artists from 4,000 of the world’s leading galleries, auction houses, art fairs, and institutions across 190 countries.
We are looking for an experienced Data Engineer to join the team at Artsy, who will help design and develop the pipelines and algorithms that will allow us to build personalized features, surface insights to our users and act on the data flowing through our platform. This can involve challenges in data science, warehousing, natural language processing, and machine learning.
We are a lean team that relies on Ruby for back-end services, Python for machine learning, Scala for data processing, and SQL for enrichment and analysis. Our stack includes Postgres, Elasticsearch, Redshift, RabbitMQ, Spark, and Hive. We integrate with services like Segment and Looker to accomplish our work, and are always evaluating new patterns, tools, and technologies.
As a data engineer you'll work on pipelines, databases, and APIs as well as critical services such as search, recommendations, and market insights. You'll architect systems for scale, and you'll think about how to keep our complex, distributed platform resilient to data integrity issues or service disruptions. You'll help structure our data so it's an invaluable asset in our dynamic business environment.
- Ingest and aggregate data from both internal and external data sources to build our world class datasets.
- Develop machine learning models that aid us in ranking, classification, and predictive tasks.
- Develop and scale our recommendations and similarity algorithms.
- Transform the growing body of art market data we've collected into meaningful insights about artists, artworks, and trends.
- Design and optimize Elasticsearch queries to enable art collectors to find the work they love instantly.
- Collaborate with other engineers, data analysts, and product managers, taking learning and leadership opportunities that will arise every single day.
- Empower a data-driven culture by making high-volume activity data rapidly available for analysis.
- Experience building user-facing products powered by data.
- Experience with large-scale data processing or enrichment.
- Hadoop MapReduce technology or similar frameworks.
- Experience tuning production scale search engines.
- You are knowledgeable about data modeling, data access, and data storage techniques.
- You understand the value of collaboration within teams, and you have experience building relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders.
Preferred, Not Required:
- Data science and machine learning experience in a complex product environment
Additionally you should:
- Understand and uphold our key value of “impact over perfection”
- Hold strong opinions, loosely held: you will change our team, and our team will change you.
- Feel strong resonance with our engineering principles.
Artsy has six core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
For the Love of Art: We are obsessed with art because we believe in its power to move us and change the way we experience the world. Together, we are dedicated to expanding art’s impact on humanity.
Own Our Outcomes: We are all individual owners of Artsy’s shared success. We are resourceful and resilient, and to get the job done, we each take responsibility for our outcomes.
Lead with Openness: We trust in our teammates. We have the courage to be vulnerable, to communicate honestly, and to invite diverse perspectives. A more open art world starts with us.
Transform Together: Our mission asks us to challenge the status quo. We embrace learning, growth, and change so that we can transform our industry, our company, and ourselves.
Impact Over Perfection: Using both Art and Science, we debate and decide swiftly and iterate on our plans as we learn. To make the biggest impact, we prioritize speed and clarity of action over perfection.
Do the Right Thing, Always: We are building a company and community we can all be proud of. We make decisions with honesty and integrity, even when it’s not convenient. Empathy, respect, and inclusivity are core to our mission.
Artsy is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.