Staff Data Engineer
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of over 14 million items across home furnishings, decor, home improvement, houseware and more. Committed to delivering value and style to its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes – from product discovery to final delivery.
We are building a new data engineering team for our partner home organization, Wayfair’s supplier facing user experience. As Staff Data Engineer you will take ownership over translating business strategy into actionable technical objectives and by taking the lead in defining our data architecture.
What You’ll Do:
- Drive the communication with stakeholders across the business in order to understand their data requirements
- Clarify ownership of many existing siloed, heterogeneous data sources and pipelines feeding the supplier’s user experience, implementing common, shared abstractions layers and data catalogs
- Implement and take ownership of a scalable data architecture on cloud infrastructure that serves both real-time and analytical data requirements
- Integrate and work with legacy systems whilst also building the strategic data platform
- Define technical strategies to ensure the platform’s health over the next 6-12 months, making sure systems are robust, of high quality, and solve high impact problems
- Mentor and grow technical skills of engineers across multiple sprint teams by giving high quality feedback in design and code reviews and providing training for new methods, tools, and patterns
- Make proposals and help shape alternative, improved data solutions that are better aligned with industry standards in their approach to data quality, SLAs and operational excellence
What You’ll Need:
- Track record in working with large data sets and closely working with data analysts, software and infrastructure engineers (7+ years data engineering experience)
- Experienced in developing and delivering on technical roadmaps and architectures for platforms or cross-functional problems that impact multiple teams
- Highly skilled in business to technical translation and vice versa
- Professional experience with SQL and at least one of the following programming languages: Python, Scala or Java
- Strong background in working with big data technologies like: Spark, Kafka, Hadoop, etc.
- Experienced in designing data solutions within cloud platforms such as Google Cloud Platform (preferred), AWS or Azure
- Experience using Linux/Unix operating systems
- Knowledge of scalable query systems like Presto, Athena, Impala or Hive
What we’d love to see
- Experience with real-time data streaming tools like Kafka (preferred), GCP pub-sub or Apache Storm.
- A good understanding of REST and/or GraphQL
- Experience of designing and implementing systems based on SOA principles
- Previous dev-ops experience
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.