Redwood City, CA
Course Hero is scaling! We are looking for a motivated, passionate Data Engineer who will help build our next-generation Data Platform. We want a talented software engineer with a DevOps mentality who loves to focus on scalability and big data.
You can expect high impact and wide-ranging responsibilities: As a Data Engineer, you will have deep hands-on experience working with Data Scientists, Machine Learning experts, and Search Engineers. The scalable systems you build will enable our product designers to bring powerful data products to the Course Hero platform.
Our tech stack includes Aurora, Kafka, ElasticSearch, Presto, Airflow, DynamoDB and various homegrown data tools written in Bash, Go, Python and Elixir.
Here are some ways you’ll make an impact:
- Work with our teams of data scientists, machine learning engineers and software engineers to work efficiently and reliably with terabytes of data.
- Help scale our OLTP platform to support the continued growth of one of the top 200 websites (by US traffic).
- Develop tools that extend the leverage of our small, but highly effective data engineering team to support the company's growth. Our team has various tools in Bash, Go and Python along with a web application in Elixir with Phoenix Liveview.
- Automate monitoring and administration of the data infrastructure to help us grow our microservice architecture.
- Collaborate with engineering on query tuning and schema design so we can continue to scale.
- Ensure compliance with the organization's high bar for data quality and modeling standards, across the product and related business areas.
- Participate in the on-call rotation and document administration and response procedures through runbooks & playbooks.
Are you our next Data Engineer?
- 3-4+ years of relevant work experience
- Strong software developer
- Have a solid understanding of SQL
- Love to learn new technologies. You are the type that welcomes the challenge of learning something new and works hard to become an expert as fast as possible.
- Passion for scalability and big data
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science, mathematics, economics, engineering, or other related fields.
- Experience with Apache Airflow
- Experience with Elixir/Phoenix and Liveview
- Strong SQL and schema design experience
At Course Hero, we have an awesome team and a truly engaging culture. We are customer-focused, collaborative, responsible, gritty and we love to learn. Our bold mission is to help students graduate confident and prepared!
We are not the only ones that think we’re onto something big. Course Hero has been recognized as the 278th Fastest Growing Company in North America on Deloitte’s 2019 Technology Fast 500 and also 2019’s One of the Best Places to Work in the Bay Area by the Bay Area News Group. Read up on some of our recent news coverage, blog, and learn more about us to see what it is like to work with our team.
Benefits & Perks!
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Full medical coverage (medical, dental, vision)
- 401(k) program with match
- Education Reimbursement
- Quarterly team events and outings (Sporting Events, Escape Rooms, Go-Kart Racing, Karaoke, Bowling and much more!)
- Free lunches twice a week, on-site cafe discount, plus an endless snack and drink supply
- Onsite gym – Pacific Shores Center – Classes – Pool – Spa – Rock Wall - Massages!
- Commuter benefits, shuttle service from Redwood City, and cell-phone allowance
- Local move benefit to move within 10 miles of our office!
- 8 hours per quarter paid time for volunteering for a cause of your choice
- Front row seat to Master Educator lectures – check out videos on our LinkedIn Career Page