Principal Data Scientist - Multi-objective Optimization
As Principal Scientist within our Search & Recommendations group, you will drive our biggest challenges, turning business asks and creative ideas that do not have an obvious blueprint into scalable modelling solutions that run in real-time. This is an individual-contributor role focused on research and implementation of novel approaches and techniques that cut across our entire stack of recommendations: from our Search engine via our Browse experience to our Marketing emails, you will touch the experience of all of our customers across all of our sites, apps, and marketing channels. You will get an opportunity to work with one of the largest e-commerce datasets out there, come up with innovative algorithms and solutions, and work with a growing team of currently ~65 to test these solutions in live experiments, and implement them as scalable production systems.
What you will do
- Solve novel machine-learning and optimization problems that won’t always have a blueprint
- Keep abreast of relevant research and use it to come up with your own ideas of how to improve our approach
- Work with cross-functional teams of engineers, scientists, and analysts, to devise implementation and experimentation strategies
- Be a key contributor to the data science and machine-learning community, both within and outside of Wayfair
What you bring
- 10+ years of experience in research & development, with substantial time spent both in an academic setting and within industry or a research-lab type of environment
- History of coming up with innovative and creative quantitative solutions, demonstrated through practical business impact and/or publications
- Previous expertise in multi-objective and constrained optimization
- You are hands on and comfortable coding on an industry-standard machine-learning stack (Hadoop/Bigquery, Spark, Python, Jupyter)
- You love seeing your work through to customer impact!