Director, Data Science (Ads)
San Francisco, CA
Instacart is looking to hire an accomplished Director of Data Science with a strong background in Ads, with experience leading a world-class team at a late stage high-growth company. In this position, you will work closely with senior product and engineering leadership to grow and drive Instacart’s ads revenue into a multi-billion dollar business. Ideally, we are looking for a leader who is commercially minded with a strong understanding of margins and previous experience hiring and building an exceptional team of data scientists.
You’ll oversee opportunity identification, experiment design, forecasting, goaling and metrics/reporting design to help our ads teams operate effectively and play a significant role in helping us 5x our ads revenue over the next 2-3 years.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Build and lead a high-performance data science team, including other data science managers, and be responsible for your organization's productivity, operational excellence and business impact
- Communicate your team’s work and directly assist senior leaders in decision making
- The role will focus on the inference side of data science with a focus on experimentation design and analysis
- Grow current team from 5 to 15+ data scientists in the next 12-18 months
- Prioritize and set the vision for your team’s work, making difficult tradeoffs on design based on business constraints, ensuring on-time deliverables and high-quality analyses
- Help build out all offline models for ads DS
- Participate in interviewing, hiring decisions, on-boarding, and mentoring of new data scientists with the goal of quickly making them productive members of your team.
- Develop a team culture of ownership that reinforces the core values of Instacart!
- BS/MS in Statistics, Math, Computer Science, Economics, Physics, or related field
- 8+ years of experience in Data Science, Quantitative and/or Advertising Analytics
- Programming familiarity with Python or R
- 5+ years of progressive leadership experience, leading teams of 12+, including managers
- 3+ years of experience working in Ads/Monetization
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to influence and collaborate in cross-functional capacity with leaders in engineering, product, finance, etc.
- Good Product Judgment; Commercially minded with a strong understanding of margins