Lead Data Engineer (f/m/x)
sennder, with its HQ located in the heart of Berlin, is changing the way people think about logistics. We’re Europe’s no.1 road freight forwarder with the goal of disrupting and revolutionising this traditional industry. The challenges are huge as many logistics processes and procedures are very manual and inefficient, we’re solving this problem by digitalising and automating to allow for much smoother and more efficient goods transportation. You can learn more about us here
At the spear-tip of this digitalisation and automation is our “Smart Logistics Business Area”, which aims to provide the business with data-driven tools to support their processes and decisions, be it in the form of raw data from our data warehouse, a fully supported Salesforce-suite, reports and analysis or predictive models and recommendation systems.
As a Lead Data Engineer, you will work in our HQ in the heart of Berlin in one of our autonomous teams. You foster collaboration, inspire by example and thrive in a fast-paced environment whilst providing technical vision and strategy to help teams execute to the best potential.
Our engineering teams build user experiences that disrupt the logistics market. We trust and support each other and encourage our engineers to connect together with regular knowledge sharing sessions as well as being transparent and open with our company vision in regular tech all hands. We value strong engineering skills, deep understanding of business, full ownership, high velocity, collaboration, and initiative.
Your challenge will be
- You will be the technical and team lead for the team managing the data warehouse, data ingestion pipelines, data marts and ML-related data provisioning pipelines
- You will work on introducing data pipelines and implementing patterns like change data capture, event streaming, etc.
- You will take the lead with data management and our DWH.
- You will be heavily involved in the setup and maintenance of the tools we choose together to build our data pipelines with Kafka or other data streaming technologies.
- You will regularly support other data engineers with growing and maintaining data pipelines that empower our Business Intelligence and ML services.
- Set the technology vision and architectural direction for the team and execute against that vision and agreed on target state.
- Continuously identify and resolve technical debt, quality issues and gaps in engineering processes.
- Promote and maintain a healthy culture of collaboration and inclusion, lead by example in line with the engineering and company values where people can fulfill their potential.
- Focus on learning, applying, and extending best-in-class industry practices to continue to raise the bar within data engineering.
We want to see in you
- You have solid practical experience (5+ years) in building data pipelines and data services.
- Python is our weapon of choice and we expect you to know it well.
- Experience with the building blocks of modern data pipelines: Kafka, Protobuf, Apache Airflow.
- Strong expertise in SQL. You will talk daily to Postgres and Snowflake: directly, via ORMs, or dbt.
- You can code; microservices and APIs are not an unknown land for you. At sennder, we use Django, and FastAPI.
- You understand the importance of DataOps, have practical experience with containers, CI/CD, and data infrastructure.
- Good communication skills in English.
We expect you to
- Be mindful about your craft, “keep your saw sharp”, learn ways to improve your work, processes, and remove mundane routine by scripting and automation,
- Be passionate about doing great work, and pragmatic about getting things done,
- Be driven by data, build small prototypes to test assumptions, and do not buy into the latest hype and shiny labels. Linus Torvalds once said: ”Talking is cheap. Show me the code.”
- Be a decent human being. Be willing to help other people, share your expertise, and mentor.
- A successful startup/scaleup in its hyper-growth phase
- Competitive salary
- As a startup, we have flexibility and a lack of bureaucracy, you can have great impact and lay the foundations of our technological platform
- As a company with an established business model, we are stable, have real users, provide different options for professional and career development
- Usual employee’s perks: in-house gym, fruits and drinks, team and company events
- We treat people equally regardless of their background, sexual preferences, skin colour, and food tastes
- Flexible working hours and home office
At sennder we value commitment, team spirit, and your personal and professional development. Our mission is to offer our teams a diverse work environment by fostering a very friendly and supportive atmosphere and an energetic company culture. We enjoy building and nourishing long-lasting friendships across teams and often come together to plan fun events and activities.