Senior Data Engineer - Kafka - (f/m/x)
sennder, with its HQ located in the heart of Berlin, is changing the way people think about logistics. We’re Europe’s no.1 road freight forwarder with the goal of disrupting and revolutionising this traditional industry. The challenges are huge as many logistics processes and procedures are very manual and inefficient, we’re solving this problem by digitalising and automating to allow for much smoother and more efficient goods transportation. You can learn more about us here
At the spear-tip of this digitalisation and automation is our “Smart Logistics Business Area”, which aims to provide the business with data-driven tools to support their processes and decisions, be it in the form of raw data from our data warehouse, reports and analysis or predictive models and recommendation systems.
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will work in our HQ in the heart of Berlin in one of our autonomous teams. Our engineering teams build user experiences that disrupt the logistics market. We trust and support each other and encourage our engineers to connect together with regular knowledge sharing sessions as well as being transparent and open with our company vision in regular tech all hands. We value strong engineering skills, deep understanding of business, full ownership, high velocity, collaboration, and initiative.
You will work on
- We make a leap from the monolith application into microservices, and the topics like asynchronous communications, data synchronisation, events, stream processing are getting more and more important. We need engineers with strong expertise in those subjects.
- You will work on introducing data pipelines and implementing patterns like change data capture, event streaming, etc.
- You will be heavily involved in the setup and maintenance of the tools we choose together to build our data pipelines with Kafka or other data streaming technologies,
- You will participate in decomposing our main Postgres database so that microservices and modules could own their respective data.
- You will regularly support other data engineers with growing and maintaining data pipelines that empower our Business Intelligence and ML services.
We want to see in you
- You have solid practical experience (5+ years) in building data pipelines and data services.
- Python is our weapon of choice and we expect you to know it well.
- Experience with the building blocks of modern data pipelines: Kafka, Protobuf, Apache Airflow.
- Strong expertise in SQL. You will talk daily to Postgres and Snowflake: directly, via ORMs, or dbt.
- You can code, microservices and APIs are not an unknown land for you. At sennder, we use Python, Django, and FastAPI.
- You understand the importance of DataOps, have practical experience with containers, CI/CD, and data infrastructure.
- Good communication skills in English.
We expect you to
- Be mindful about your craft, “keep your saw sharp”, learn ways to improve your work, processes, and remove mundane routine by scripting and automation,
- Be passionate about doing great work, and pragmatic about getting things done,
- Be driven by data, build small prototypes to test assumptions, and do not buy into the latest hype and shiny labels. Linus Torvalds once said: ”Talking is cheap. Show me the code.”
- Be a decent human being. Be willing to help other people, share your expertise, and mentor.
- A successful startup/scaleup in its hyper-growth phase
- Competitive salary,
- As a startup, we have flexibility and a lack of bureaucracy, you can have great impact and lay the foundations of our technological platform,
- As a company with an established business model, we are stable, have real users, provide different options for professional and career development,
- Usual employee’s perks: in-house gym, fruits and drinks, team and company events,
- We treat people equally regardless of their background, sexual preferences, skin colour, and food tastes,
- Competitive salary,
- Flexible working hours and home office.
At sennder we value commitment, team spirit, and your personal and professional development. Our mission is to offer our teams a diverse work environment by fostering a very friendly and supportive atmosphere and an energetic company culture. We enjoy building and nourishing long-lasting friendships across teams and often come together to plan fun events and activities.