Data Scientist — Treasury
We’re looking for a Data Scientist to join our growing Treasury Team in London. This role is a unique opportunity to have an impact on TransferWise’s mission, grow as a Data Scientist and help save millions more people money.
TransferWise has already pioneered new ways for people to transfer money across borders and currencies. Our customers can also manage their hard-earned money with the world’s first platform to offer true multi-currency banking. Your mission is to help run the engine of the company delivering funds to wherever in the world our customers need them as fast as possible. Your team is also entrusted with managing risk from currency rate fluctuations allowing us to offer customers the real mid-market rate.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the Treasury Team
- You will help automate treasury operational decisions, dig in piles of data to find golden insights and create production grade models that can be clearly monitored by our operations team.
- You will help us manage liquidity and mitigate FX risk in the smartest way, build operational tools and develop strategies.
- Your average day will include building new models, maintaining production models, evaluating new ideas, putting out fires etc... (there are no average days)
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Have a direct impact - You will get behind the scene of company transactions, understand where we need to send money and what is the best to do it so our customers get the fast and fair service they deserve. what you build will have an impact on millions of customers.
- Work autonomously - we believe people are most empowered when they can act autonomously. So rather than telling you what to do, you’ll work with your team to create a vision of your own. Of course, you can always gather feedback from smart, curious people across TransferWise but you’ll have the freedom to make your own calls.
- Be part of a diverse team - You will work in a team of Data scientists, product managers, engineers and operations across 4 Transferwise offices, a lot of video-calls and some travel is expected.
- Be part of our mission to make money without borders the new normal
- You are able to take ownership of a project and see it through from end to end, with past experience in doing so
- You are data-driven with a structural and pedantic approach. You are be able to prioritise the value you can add, and manage your time effectively.
- You see the bigger picture of business processes and can cut through vagueness to define precisely where and how a model would fit into our stack and what value it would add.
- You have a Mathematics/Exact sciences/Engineering/finance background — for example, you’re comfortable with deriving variance estimates and re-formulating quadratic optimization problems into forms supported by optimizers
- You are familiar with a range of model types, and know when and why to use gradient boosting, neural networks, good old regression, or a blend of these
- You have a good understanding of statistics, in particular Bayesian reasoning, and can estimate how accurate your results are, but also know when to stop analysing and deliver results
- You are experienced in building machine learning models both on daily time series and on big data (100Ms of rows), using the right tools depending on the data volumes (our team uses Python, SQL, Druid and sometimes Kafka and Spark for shoveling data, but we’re open to others ).
- You have a solid knowledge of Python, and are able to make and justify design decisions in your Python code; you can throw together a REST service or a UI if need be
- You understand fundamental technologies such as Kafka and Docker, and don’t think twice about bringing up a new engine in docker-compose to have a play
- You are comfortable with visualising and communicating data to various audiences, you easily articulate and present your ideas.
Some extra skills that would be great:
- You are familiar with finance, trading or accounting terminology so that it’s easier for you to understand, evaluate and explain implications of product decisions in Treasury.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.