Software Engineer (Machine Learning) - Takealot
Cape Town or Stellenbosch
Posted 6 months ago
takealot.com, a leading South African online retailer, is looking for a highly talented Software Engineer (Machine Learning) to join our team in Cape Town
We are a young, dynamic, hyper growth company looking for smart, creative, hard- working people with integrity to join us. We offer a market related, Total Remuneration Package which allows full flexibility according to your needs, a great work environment and a promise that you won’t be bored as long as you are prepared for a challenge and want to build something great.
This position reports to the Engineering Team Lead (Machine Learning)
Your responsibilities will include the following:
- Work with a fire-hose of data
- Build state-of-the-art statistical models
- Touch all aspects of the business
- Brainstorm new ideas and concepts
- Work with teammates on design, and code reviews
- Build real time systems that integrate with the rest of our stack
- Be creative
- Be flexible
- Be data oriented
- Take pride in your work
Qualifications and experience:
- Computer Science degree (alternatively a degree in a related field with work experience as a software engineer)
- MSc (or even PhD) would be considered a bonus
- Strong Mathematical or Statistical experience
- Python experience
- Linux experience
- Commercial software experience
- Experience with BigQuery or Elasticsearch
- Tensorflow, scikit-learn or Pandas experience
- Machine Learning / Data Mining / Big Data experience
- takealot.com employees are entrepreneurial and dynamic, smart, customer-centric, fun and have the shared ambition of takealot.com being the leading e-commerce company in Africa.
- We have fun, work hard, take ownership, work in teams to create solutions, and are always open to direct feedback/new ideas on where we can improve.
- We are short on ego and high on output.
- We are doers and not only thinkers, it’s all in the execution after all.
- We love what we do and what we are creating.
We seek to Employ an Extra Ordinary Mind who
- is forthright but respectful
- is an expert at doing, who can not only design but also execute
- is analytical, able to use data to make decisions
- is competitive, self-directed and strive to be the BEST (GREAT requires a lot of work and does not only happen during business hours
- is passionate about the potential of e-commerce and delivering a world-class customer experience
- is entrepreneurial, thrives under change and accepts it is a constant and always looks for solutions to do something better and faster
- is able to think about problems from a business perspective using technical and product input
- is curious and challenge the status quo
- is innovative and enjoys iteration
- is collaborative
- will be at the cutting edge of developing new concepts for takealot.com.
- thinks like an owner of the business.
- is SMART, has INTEGRITY and is HARDWORKING
If you meet the above you are an Extraordinary Mind so come and join us!
Takealot is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.