Data Scientist Principal
As a Principal, Data Science, you’ll utilize advanced quantitative and statistical analysis techniques to drive business model innovation for Via, work closely with our senior management to help drive decisions, and lead, mentor, and train data scientists and analysts in the art of leveraging data.
What You'll Do
- Adeptly interpret and utilize mass quantities of data to generate innovative hypotheses & insights
- Quantitatively test hypotheses about rider and driver behavior using large sets of proprietary data; leverage results to improve business metrics at every touch point
- Design and implement novel experiments to better understand and improve current operation as well as expansion to new markets
- Build optimization models that leverage predictions and insights to improve operational efficiency in different aspects of the business
- Train and mentor data analysis and scientists, assist in their professional growth and develop the analytic ecosystem in teams across the company
Who You Are
- 4+ years of industry experience with predictive modeling and statistical analysis techniques in a business environment
- Obsessed with data; analytical and rigorous, with a thorough understanding of statistics and machine learning at both a practical and theoretical level
- Extraordinary communicator with demonstrated writing, editing, presentation and visualization skills. You understand the importance of graphic techniques in communicating a quantitative idea effectively
- A PhD in statistics, machine learning, physics, math, systems biology, or highly quantitative fields in social sciences), including 2+ years of graduate-level research experience (or the equivalent)
- Mastery in some or all of the following: SQL, Python, R.
- Attention to detail is critical. Please mention that soup of the day is mushroom barley in the cover letter
What Catches Our Eye
- Experience leading a team
- Experience in experiment design and interpretation
- Experience with different optimization methods
- Transportation relevant experience and research would be a plus (but it not a must)
We’re Via, and we build technology that changes the way the world moves. Our guiding principle is simple: we know that the future of transportation is safe, dynamic, shared public mobility — the kind that reduces carbon emissions across congested cities, compliments existing transit infrastructure, and provides everyone with accessible, efficient, and affordable ways of getting around. Through intelligently designed operating systems and sophisticated routing algorithms, we build localized and customizable solutions for each and every one of our global partners (100 and counting, last we checked…)
Long story short: we’re very proud to be championing the transportation evolution of cities around the world and modernizing mobility. Ready to join the ride?
Via offers above market compensation packages and benefits, including equity, health insurance, and relocation assistance.
Via is an equal opportunity employer.