Data Engineer II
Chicago, Illinois, United States
About Beyond Finance
Beyond Finance is an exciting next generation FinTech company headquartered in Houston with additional offices in San Diego and Chicago. We provide financial products that are easy to use and accessible that aim to improve people’s lives. As the consumer debt market continues to grow in the United States, we have made it our objective to create a transparent and fair debt management service that is customized to the consumer’s individual situation.
Our leadership team has extensive experience and expertise in the financial services and debt management marketplace. We are reinventing the market by investing in innovative technologies to best serve our customers. Our workforce is a community made up of celebrated, diverse backgrounds working towards the common objective of developing something transformational for the debt settlement industry.
About the Role
As a Senior Data Analyst you will work closely with end business users to determine data needs of the business area and discuss the meaning of the data coming from the source system. You’ll also come up with your own recommendations and ideas of what can be done with the data beyond the initial requirements.
You must be willing to take a deep dive in the data and understand the meaning, understand idiosyncrasies and communicate at both a technical and business level. You’ll partner with the data warehouse architect team to create data structures which are useful for multiple internal stakeholders solving immediate needs and anticipating long term questions. You’ll ensure the definitions are documented and serve as a coach to others who use the data.
What you’ll do
- Develop a deep understanding of existing data in at least one system, including how the data is produced and used by the application. This will involve examining the data by writing SQL and, examining the data for anomalies and patterns, and confirming popular opinion
- Have knowledge of creating a data abstraction layer which is different than the transaction system or the incoming system
- Document and map the existing data structures from the operational system to the new curated data structures so data engineers can use it for ETL (Exact, Transform, Load) work.
- Work with various business groups to understand their short and long-term business needs and create a plan to deliver the data using the existing system or requesting new data be produced
- Drive the governance process of ensuring all stakeholders are congruent on the meaning of the data and it’s well documented
- Build the BI layer of abstraction, providing the meaning created for BI reporting; ensure BI access is considered when providing access to data and reporting
- Build BI reports when needed and train others in the ability to build BI reports, teaching them the concepts and complexities
- Keeping up a data dictionary of the definitions of tables, columns and possible values
What We Look For:
- 3-5 years of professional experience working in analytics, business intelligence or reporting
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in information systems, computer science, analytics, mathematics or similar discipline
- Understand relational databases, tables, columns, and data types
- Be fluent in writing complicated SQL
- Demonstrate proficiency in setting up reports in a BI tool like PowerBI, Looker, Tableau, or similar
- Be curious and skeptical by examining the data to ensure it makes sense and adheres to popular opinion
- See the perspective of many business stakeholders and understand dimensional modeling
- Use excellent communication skills to work well with a wide range of stakeholders
- Facilitate meetings with stakeholders with the ability to drive consensus
Why join us?
We are looking for great people to join a fast-paced, growing, and innovative business. We offer:
- Considerable employer contributions for health, dental and vision programs
- Unlimited personal time-off
- 401(K) match
- Merit advancement opportunities
- Career development & training
More importantly, our team spirit and culture are what really sets us apart as a company. We’re a world-class Financial Technology company that loves what we do…and we have fun doing it!
*Beyond Finance is an equal opportunity Employer*