About the team
The BI team is small and continually growing as we build and operate the cloud data platform for Cloudflare. We are responsible for building a centralized cloud data platform using open source technologies that will be used by our internal Business Partners and Machine Learning teams. Our goal is to democratize data, support Cloudflare’s critical business needs, provide reporting and analytics self-service tools to fuel existing and new business critical initiatives.
About the role
As part of this initiative, we are looking for a Data Engineer and help us build a scalable petabyte scale data lake and Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) using modern tech stack from the ground up using open source technologies. Success in this role comes from marrying a strong data engineering background with product and business acumen to deliver scalable data pipelines and analytics solutions that can enable advanced analytics via a self-service user interface.
What you will do
- Gain a strong understanding of business and product data needs
- Design, build and support scalable and reliable data solutions that can enable self-service reporting and advanced analytics using open source technologies in an agile manner.
- Develop technical tools and programming that leverage machine learning and big-data techniques to cleanse, organize and transform data and to maintain and update data structures and integrity on an automated basis
- Close partnership with internal stakeholders and partners from Engineering, product, and business(Finance, Sales, Customer Experience, Marketing etc.)
- Design application components and evolve architecture: API/Services, data access, integration, application components, etc.
- Analyze and support platform requirements for Data Science team
- Implement automation tools and frameworks (CI/CD pipelines)
- Build tools to automate the monitoring or workload and take proactive measure to scale the platform or to fix the problem
Examples of desired skills, knowledge and experience
- Proven ability to work closely with business and product teams to ensure data solutions are aligned with business initiatives and are of high quality.
- 3+ years of development experience in Big Data space working with Petabytes of data and building large scale data solutions using Google Cloud Platform, Apache Spark, Airflow, Kafka, Scala, Python, etc.
- Experience with API design and development of RESTful web services or Graphql.
- Knowledge of and experience with the backend frameworks like NodeJS, Golang, Python etc.
- Experience with environment and deployment automation, IaaS, deployment pipeline specification and development.
- Working experience in Kubernetes, Docker etc.
- Any experience with front end programming (React, Angular, HTML5, CSS etc.) is a plus.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering or related experience required.
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.