Senior Data Scientist
Posted 8 months ago
We're looking for a Senior Data/Decision Scientist to join the Insights Foundations team inside of Decision Science & Analytics at Zapier.
Decision Science & Analytics is responsible for driving data insights, experimentation and quantitative research at Zapier. We work across Product & Revenue, Marketing, Finance, Engineering and Customer Support, steering our business stakeholders to take data-informed decisions and deepening business understanding of opportunities and weaknesses.
Insights Foundations is responsible for catalyzing and empowering a vibrant and powerful insights community through common research, tooling, processes, and institutions.
As a Decision Scientist in Insights Foundations you’ll engage with and help folks across the entire insights spectrum from Data Engineering to UX Research. In this role you also will develop tight-knit thought partnerships with and provide data insights for our Engineering team. If you are a curious Decision Scientist interested in helping to grow a product that helps the world automate their work so they can get back to living, this may be the right challenge for you!
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. Hopefully, you'll take a leap of faith and apply.
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Working on Diversity and Inclusivity
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
You are a skilled oral and written communicator. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication. This is especially important in Insights Foundations as you’ll regularly need to communicate complex technical issues clearly and approachably across a wide variety of reader skill levels.
You have proven stakeholder management expertise. As a collaborative and empathetic thought partner you're able to clearly express your findings to a technical audience whose skill set differs substantially from your own, and you’re comfortable with operating with a high degree of autonomy to proactively shape your roadmap. It is especially valuable if you’ve either been or have worked closely with software engineers in the past.
You have extensive experience in conducting statistical analyses or machine learning approaches to explore and understand loosely defined problems to discover actionable solutions. You are a veteran in designing experiments and application of associated statistical methods (e.g. generalised linear models, significance testing, confidence/credible intervals, and the interpretation of coefficients) and one or more complex statistical or machine learning techniques (e.g. multilevel models, survival analysis, hyperdimensional language models, random forests, CART, mediation/moderation analyses, structural equation modeling, time series modelling, or classification/clustering techniques). In particular, you thrive on helping others learn to use these techniques as well as leveraging them to systematically enhance our understanding of the problem space.
When it comes to Python and/or R, you’ve mastered one data visualization tool and are a function and package builder. Code you write has been used and reused by others and you enjoy building it.
You have a basic understanding of DevOps/SRE and are able to build and deploy statistical solutions in a cloud environment.
You enjoy collaboration and knowledge sharing. You appreciate our team’s values of eagerness to collaborate with teammates with any level of statistical knowledge, iterating over your deliverables, and being curious.
You understand that perfect is the enemy of good and that the good is the enemy of the great. You will default to action by initially shipping solutions that simply work and work simply, while iterating as needed to meet the needed level of quality.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a fast-growing and remote-first company, and Insights Foundations is a cross-cutting central function in Decision Science. So, you’ll get to contribute to many different projects across all of Zapier! Here are some things you might get to help our teams with:
- Develop and maintain tools and processes that catalyze productivity across insights functions at Zapier, e.g. R and Python packages, including testing & CI, to support common analysis tasks
- Serve as the Zapier expert for one or more quantitative methods
- Identify and conduct or guide additional quantitative and/or qualitative research to enhance Zapier’s understanding of our customers and key business processes
- Write practical review articles that summarize existing internal and external quantitative and qualitative research
- Summarize elements/areas of your expertise and adjacent to your expertise for a diverse audience with multiple skill levels in a way that is accessible and relevant to Zapier, e.g. a document on the impact of multiple comparisons on decision making when using null hypothesis tests
- Conduct trainings and guide others in developing skills in your areas of expertise
- Host Town Square meetings for all data/insights functions to solve problems and cross pollinate understanding
- Structure and coordinate a system of peer review
- Identify opportunities where the addition of particular methods can catalyze value for the organization
- The tools you’ll use include Python or R, RStudio Server Pro, AWS (especially Redshift, Redshift Spectrum, EC2, Route 53, & EKS), Apache Airflow, SQL.
- Help engineering teams evaluate their current data, and collect more data, to identify system issues before they substantively affect the experience of our users.
- As a part of Zapier's all-hands philosophy, help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible.
How To Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate. Please make sure to answer each question.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Since 2011, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have a big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
About Decision Science at Zapier
Decision Science is the primary layer between Zapier’s data and its business stakeholders, driving deeper understanding of impact, patterns and business opportunities via quantitative research, analysis and experimentation.
Our data tech stack is best summed up by AWS Redshift (and related AWS products like AWS Glue, Redshift Spectrum, AWS S3), Looker, Kafka, Airflow, Python, and R.
The Whole Package
Location: Planet Earth.
Our team of 350+ is distributed because it lets us work with the best people. You don't have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary (we pay based on the norms of your country)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- 3 annual company retreats to awesome places (once we’re all able to travel again)
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. We require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US-, Canadian- and UK-based employees.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.
More AI/ML/Data Science position highlights
- Explore open Head of Data Science Jobs
- Explore open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality Jobs
- Explore open Sr Data Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Data Operations Analyst Jobs
- Explore open Data Scientist II Jobs
- Explore open Senior Marketing Data Analyst Jobs
- Explore open Lead Data Analyst Jobs
- Explore open Senior Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Explore open Data Science Manager Jobs
- Explore open Data Science Intern Jobs
- Explore open Data Engineer: Business Intelligence Jobs
- Explore open Software Engineer - Machine Learning Jobs
- Explore open BI Data Analyst Jobs
- Explore open Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Explore open Manager, Data Engineering Jobs
- Explore open Software Development Engineer - Machine Learning Jobs
- Explore open Data Science Consultant Jobs
- Explore open Senior Data Engineer - Streaming Jobs
- Explore open Financial Data Analyst Jobs
- Explore open Senior Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Explore open Data Engineer III Jobs
- Explore open Data Scientist, Machine Learning Jobs
- Explore open Computer Vision Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Senior Product Manager, Machine Learning Jobs
- Explore open Business Data Analyst Jobs
- Explore open Kafka-related jobs
- Explore open Airflow-related jobs
- Explore open Looker-related jobs
- Explore open Consulting-related jobs
- Explore open PyTorch-related jobs
- Explore open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Explore open Healthcare-related jobs
- Explore open Travel-related jobs
- Explore open Data Mining-related jobs
- Explore open Pandas-related jobs
- Explore open Open Source-related jobs
- Explore open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Explore open NLP-related jobs
- Explore open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Explore open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Explore open Linux-related jobs
- Explore open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Explore open BigQuery-related jobs
- Explore open NoSQL-related jobs
- Explore open Data pipelines-related jobs
- Explore open MySQL-related jobs
- Explore open NumPy-related jobs
- Explore open Keras-related jobs
- Explore open MongoDB-related jobs