Head of Data Science
Cleo was created to improve your financial health.
Already, she’s helped 3 million people improve their relationship to money with simplicity and a sense of humour.
She’s not a bank though. She’s an interface for the 99% – an AI assistant defining a new category, one that goes beyond saving up to actually changing how we feel about our finances.
Through chat, she provides you with deep insights about your money, while suggesting personalised financial products that increase your ability to save. But it’s really our tone of voice that makes us special.
We’re a product for the next generation. That means we’re meeting our users where they are and building the type of relationship they expect. It also means dropping the BS.
In 5 years Cleo should be so intelligent, so engaging, that the relationship you have is unlike anything that’s come before.
We’re looking for an exceptional data scientist and experienced manager to lead the technical and strategic direction of data science at Cleo. We're searching for a leader who is excited about the opportunities and challenges that come with building and deploying real-time production models.
You’ll be joining a team of capable, creative, and product-focussed data scientists deploying machine learning models that bring real value to our users. You will line manage our data scientists, leveraging your experience to mentor them in their work and career development, as well as leading our data science chapter, and working with our engineering and product teams to maximise the impact of data science. Initially you may retain some hands-on responsibility, being involved in the development and execution of key data science projects; this role will move to a full-time leadership role as the business scales.
As Head of Data Science you will be responsible for building out the structure of how we do data science at Cleo, as well as line managing our data scientists. You will have a significant track record of leading the delivery of data science or machine learning within a production environment. You have experience in line managing and developing high performing teams. You are keen to remain involved in the delivery of data science products and have significant technical experience across the full data science delivery lifecycle.
You could be either someone already in a similar role, a data science manager with strong technical skills, or a lead/principal data scientist with some managerial experience looking to make a step into leadership. What matters is that you can deliver.What you’ll be doing
- Technical skills leadership: Drive the creation and implementation of best practices for data modelling, analysis, and machine learning that allow the data science function to work efficiently. Establish agile frameworks for data science.
- Product vision: Collaborate with engineering and product leaders to develop a product suite that is continually delivering value for our users
- Team leadership: Develop a high performing team of data scientists. Own our recruitment and onboarding process. Ensure a clear framework is in place for development of talent.
- Line management: Manage and mentor our data scientists
- Tooling/Architecture: Lead the team to design, develop and deploy machine learning pipelines that will operate with reliability at scale in our cloud.
- Hands-on development: Remain an individual contributor to our data science code base. Build an extraordinary AI assistant to help users understand and manage their money, leveraging a wide range of machine learning methods.
Why should you apply?
- As our first Head of Data Science you are in a unique position to define and own this new role at Cleo and set the strategic direction of data science at a fast-growing startup.
- You’ll be joining an open and collaborative team where you’ll have an impact from day one
- You’ll be joining a team of respected and experienced data scientists
- Work where you work best … we’re fully remote for the rest of the year and most likely beyond
- Work when you work best … we have flexible hours to enable you to work at your best
- A record of building and leading a high-performing data science team within a scaling organisation
- Experience in line managing data scientists and passion for coaching and mentoring
- Strong technical skills - experience as a lead data scientist at some point in your career
- Experience in building data pipelines and deploying machine learning solutions at scale in the cloud (preferably AWS)
- A strong ability to communicate findings to non-technical stakeholders in a concise and engaging manner
What do you get for all your hard work?
- 4.30 finish every Friday
- 25 days Annual leave a year
- Regular lunch-and-learns & external speakers as part of a general learning culture
- Online courses to level up your skills like coding, sql or whatever else you need
- Choose your own gear, ask for the tools you need, and we’ll seek them out for you
- Employer-matched pension contribution up to 4%
- Cleo socials and activities
- Annual membership to headspace
- 2 mental-health Sanctus sessions a month
We are committed to making Cleo a more diverse and inclusive workplace. We are making continuous changes in order to make sure that all voices, especially those of minorities are heard, supported and celebrated. Our work doesn't stop at hiring, and we are providing every employee with training, support and development throughout their Cleo career, alongside training specific to inclusivity.